New (to me) Seymour Duncan DS-100

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tang-caps!

That's what the maple covers over the fret-tangs should be called!

Me! I got there first! I coined it! I own it but I'll let you use it :)

Like this...

Sneakypete - "Oh hey Villager, you just scored one of those SD-250's?"

Villager - "Yeah, it's got those sweet-*** tang-caps!".

P.S Hello.

Japanesevintage said:
soundcreation said:
which catalog?....the one linked in the very first post of this thread.

I realize the catalogs are not always right...but still....it's at least a guide of some kind.

seriously though....SD should really stamp their pickups....it would be nice to know for sure what's in my 250.

The archived website is right about the pickups.
As I wrote, the latest 250 were equipped with Antiquity pickups.
You can contact them if you want to know what's in yours. :wink:

Well I took your advice and sent an email out of curiosity, along with this picture of my pickups.

Image0175_zps7f05bad7.jpg

And the response I got was that they've never seen that label before and he doesn't know what they are!..lol..

When I originally bought it the guy who was selling it wrote that they were the alnico beefed up in his description, so that's what I've always assumed. But maybe he really didn't know either.

Whatever they are, they sound phenomenal, and I wouldn't change them. It would be nice to know though.

Hey soundcreation,

the pickups you show are Duncan SSL-1s (identified by the 1 in the label)
R is the first letter of the winder?s name, so nothing to do with the model.

I wonder that the duncan support wouldn?t tell you that.

I have a set with exactly the same 1R sticker and from 1988 :)...

Len said:
Hey soundcreation,

They could be SSL - 1's that's true....but I'm skeptical about the name part.

The SD guy sent me a link to their pickup codes pre 2002 and the "r" designation isn't even on there.

Add to that other people on the internet have said it stands for "reverse" as in reverse wound.

If you look here there are a lot of pickups with 1 in them on a sticker that are not SSL 1.

I suspect everyone is guessing about this one.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/faq/frequently-asked/everything-else/labels/labels/

But yes...based on the 1 and the triangle bottoms SSL 1 might be the best guess.

As I said...whatever they are...I LOVE them.

Do you get the out of phase (hum cancelling) sounds in positions 2 and 4?

If so then the middle pickup will be reverse wound and reverse polarity. If that "R" means RWRP then I guess it indicates a set with a RWRP middle pickup?

soundcreation said:
Len said:
Hey soundcreation,

They could be SSL - 1's that's true....but I'm skeptical about the name part.

The SD guy sent me a link to their pickup codes pre 2002 and the "r" designation isn't even on there.

Add to that other people on the internet have said it stands for "reverse" as in reverse wound.

If you look here there are a lot of pickups with 1 in them on a sticker that are not SSL 1.

I suspect everyone is guessing about this one.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/faq/frequently-asked/everything-else/labels/labels/

But yes...based on the 1 and the triangle bottoms SSL 1 might be the best guess.

As I said...whatever they are...I LOVE them.

I know that link. And please believe me, they must be SSL-1s :)

Your?s can be identified like this:
STRAT PICKUPS
1 triangular bottom, staggered poles SSL-1 Vintage Staggered

and this is important:
Note that the last letter on your label is often the initial of the Seymour Duncan employee who made the pickup.

So, that?s where the "R" comes from.
I don?t know who "R" is but he wound a lot of SSL-1s .
If they had been wound by Obama you would have a set of 1O stickers :)

All other models with a 1 in the name are not vintage looking single coils!

The newer pickups don?t have the winder?s letter on them but a lot of 90s pickups still have.
The "R" reverse wound thing is wrong for these, it?s often said by people who sell single pickups on ebay and don?t know better. Probably because with the newer Duncan models there is a reverse wound pickup available.
But you don?t have 3 reverse wound pickups in one strat - that doesn?t make sense :)

These are mine , measuring around 5,9 to 6 kOhm , your?s too ?

duncan_SSL1_076.jpg

JVsearch said:
Do you get the out of phase (hum cancelling) sounds in positions 2 and 4?

If so then the middle pickup will be reverse wound and reverse polarity. If that "R" means RWRP then I guess it indicates a set with a RWRP middle pickup?

I don't know....I guess so....It doesn't make a lot of noise. LOL...honestly I don't really pay attention to that stuff very much...I just play. I'll pay attention next time I play it.

Len said:
I know that link. And please believe me, they must be SSL-1s :)

Your?s can be identified like this:
STRAT PICKUPS
1 triangular bottom, staggered poles SSL-1 Vintage Staggered

and this is important:
Note that the last letter on your label is often the initial of the Seymour Duncan employee who made the pickup.

So, that?s where the "R" comes from.
I don?t know who "R" is but he wound a lot of SSL-1s .
If they had been wound by Obama you would have a set of 1O stickers :)

All other models with a 1 in the name are not vintage looking single coils!

The newer pickups don?t have the winder?s letter on them but a lot of 90s pickups still have.
The "R" reverse wound thing is wrong for these, it?s often said by people who sell single pickups on ebay and don?t know better. Probably because with the newer Duncan models there is a reverse wound pickup available.
But you don?t have 3 reverse wound pickups in one strat - that doesn?t make sense :)

These are mine , measuring around 5,9 to 6 kOhm , your?s too ?

As I said....SSL 1's does make the most sense.

As for the outputs I have no idea what so ever. I wouldn't have the first idea how to measure it. Like I said....I just know they sound fantastic. That's good enough for me!

Well when I asked him whether the R meant someone's name or reverse wound I got this reply...

Yeah, as far as I remember, it just means that it's reverse wound. Here's a good resource on SD Labeling- http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/faq/frequently-asked/everything-else/labels/labels/

Have a great day!

Keith Merrow
Customer Support
Seymour Duncan
5427 Hollister Ave
Santa Barbara, Ca. 93111
Email: [email protected]
www.seymourduncan.com
www.facebook.com/seymourduncanpickups
P: 805.964.9610 ext 1030 | F: 805-964.9749

I?m sorry but that support answer is pretty bad. He?s just guessing, not knowing. I?m sure you?d get a better answer from every other support employee.

For example here?s an 80s Jeff Beck Trembucker on ebay, model sticker "TB-4" but labelled "TB-4J" because wound by marcelia Juarez.
Often advertised as "better than others" because she now works in the custom shop :D
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271073441184

Also, there?s a list of duncan winders available here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seymour_Duncan

So your?s are SSL-1 wound by Connie Rocha back in the 80s / early 90s

But I agree with you - it?s killer looking strat and if it sounds and plays as nice as it looks that?s all you need 8)

Very nice indeed!
Your 200 reminds me of a Seymour Duncan I saw recently on Yahoo.
I think that they were called 185 at that time.
Can anybody confirm?

villager said:
they were 185 then they changed to 200

Interesting. I thought they did it later.
I also believed that the DS200R were alder as shown in the link given by youami.

youami said:
And here's the Seymour Duncan series on the ESP website from a few years ago:

http://web.archive.org/web/20010815110507/www.espguitars.net/duncan/index.html

no idea when they did it, possibly same time as the navs went from 380 to 480? that catalogue is 2001, this is a 94 model, dont think its alder, also it may be that the 200 was the highest model in 1994 and was swampash, again who knows..

DSCF8268.jpg

villager said:
no idea when they did it, possibly same time as the navs went from 380 to 480? that catalogue is 2001, this is a 94 model, dont think its alder, also it may be that the 200 was the highest model in 1994 and was swampash, again who knows..
Personally, I don't. It's obviously swampash.
Yet, I may be mistaken, but according to soundcreation's checkcard, the highest model in 1992 was 250pro.
soundcreation said:
Very nice figure, anyway.

Latest posts

Back