your first/favourite fender-japan?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAMAMATSU

Reaction score
8) i have bought the fender-japan, 6 in the past and they were all good! some of them were made by fujigen, some were by tokai i guess. i still miss some of them today and regret to have sold them. my first one was ST72-US pickups in black/maple from 1987. this black angel was the first fender-japan baby of mine. the fender-japan ended a few years ago but the japanese fender products still continue to the future it seems today. thats great and TWANG! whats yours & story?

I've had 2, a matching set of strat and P-Bass.
E serials, maple necks with skunk stripe. Good ones.
I sold the P-bass because the neck was too big for my little chimp hands.
Kept the contemporary strat with the system 1 trem.
I have better pics of them somewhere.

tumblr_pkrl4rwy7x1t2f1sno1_540.jpg

tumblr_pkrl4rwy7x1t2f1sno2_540.jpg

tumblr_pkrl4rwy7x1t2f1sno3_540.jpg

I have owned several MIJ Fenders; Extrad, Custom Edition, ORDER MADE, but most of what I have left now are a few E serial necks & bodies that were parted together to make some great Strats. 8)
I also have a F serial '57 neck, and an I serial '54 neck that are ready for future projects.
I have a mint condition lefty '68 reissue maple cap neck; the maple cap is very nicely figured & flamed. I have it on an old right hand E serial body. It is one of my favorite Strats. :)

I’ve had a bunch of them. All very well made. but I tend to trade up over time.

The Strats I still own are the 1978 hard tail Fender USA that was my brother’s who passed away. It was the first really good guitar I got to play as a teenager and would sneak in his room and plug it in when he was at work...

pk9BHn6.jpg

and my Tokai Springys (a 1979 ST100 and a 1981 CAR ST80).

I would put my 79 ST100 up against any Strat. That thing is a jewel.

The ST100

1jN7tfI.jpg

The ST80 and its cousin.

OL69HfH.jpg

But all of the MIJ Fender Strats I've owned were very well made guitars.

I'll post some of them since I never get tired of looking at pictures of guitars. 8)

1985/86 Crafted in Japan Strat

Wavy 6 screw pick guard

"A" serial number

e5yb5u9.jpg

yr4Z9kV.jpg

qIVeoC7.jpg

sS6CmT7.jpg

1995 Jerry Donahue Telecaster. Previous owner switched out tuners for Spertzels.

"A" serial number

DgkiU82.jpg

1pnH6OC.jpg

zH620rP.jpg

gtrwApm.jpg

LUSLCAR.jpg

For me what it often comes down to is wood. I like denser woods it seems. The painted guitars often feel lightweight and I suspect there is alder under there. They don't seem to sustain as well as denser ash in my opinion. I think that is why I sold them. The flame top I kinda wish I still had.... 8)

Over a period of about 30 years I have owned a ton of Fender Japan examples, most all Strats, then a few Teles, Jags, & Jazzmasters to boot.
I have owned regular production, ORDER MADE stamped, Custom Edition, Extrad, etc.
I still have several regular production, E serial range Strats. :)
The one that really sticks out in my mind is an ORDER MADE stamped ST62; metallic green paint (a bit lighter in tone than a true Sherwood Green) on a light weight alder body, gold hardware, and the fingerboard was Brazilian rosewood. The neck was also the thickest neck I have ever played on any Fender Japan guitar. The order number was K6**. I really ****ed up when I sold that guitar. :cry:

I am the lucky ST-62 Custom Edition 1992 made owner, 3TS nitro finish. It seems to be a custom order becase the neck is a bit (just a bit) slimer than regular. It sounds as a good old strat should sound. It has USA pickups stock.

Looks like all of my Fenders were made by Fujigen if I have it right? Tokai began making guitars for Fender in Japan in 1997?

Now I need to look for a Tokai built Fender and see how it compares to my Springys. 8)

Back