Inflation and Guitarist Magazine

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vikingblues

Reaction score
Article in the Guitarist magazine (UK) just out on its 25th anniversary. There is a comparison of prices between 1984 prices in todays value compared to current prices.

"In the main guitars amps and effects have come down in price in the last 25 years" it says. It goes on to say "surprise surprise beer and petrol have gone up. Who's really ripping us off then?".

Most of the price of beer and petrol is tax of course. Income tax has come down, indirect tax has gone up to help pay for it.

Anyway there were 5 "guitar" related items in their list.

4 had come down, often by a lot:-
Squier Strat ?269 now, ?510 1984 price in current value
Mesa Boogie Mk 11C1 x 12 combo ?2649 now, ?3675 1984 price in current value
Marshall JCM800 split channel 100 watt head ?845 now, ?989 1984 price in current value
Boss DD-2 ?175 now, ?431 1984 price in current value

The 5th "guitar" related item:-
a certain famous name Les Paul Standard. Current price up by 14% compared to the 1984 price in current value

This did not seem worthy of any comment and, oddly, was not included along with beer and petrol in the "rip-off" assertion.

You may be interested to know that the same article says that the exceptional quality of Japanese instruments from the late 70s onwards set a standard that was picked up and AMPLIFIED (my capitals) by the likes of PRS, Music Man, Fender, and many many more. So there we are we've been told - we're obviously wasting out time looking at quality Japanese instruments when the've been bettered by the major US brands. :roll:

I don't think I have misreresented the article, but to be honest by the 3rd page of this article I had lost the will to read carefully and was skimming. :eek:

i only skimmed the article too, as usual a couple of the guitar mags i subscribe to arrived within a day or two of each other and I haven't got to guitarist yet :lol:

But i think i skimmed the bit you're talking about, and I don't think you've misrepresented it, at all.

I also thought it was a bit cheeky to compare JV squier prices to modern squier prices. I haven't tried any JVs, but from what I hear they're MIJ quality (considering they're made in japan). None of the modern squiers I've tried has been close to the Tokai Fender copies I've tried; heck, none of the MIMs has been close (including the mexican reissues), and I'd take a tokai over a lot of the MIA models, too.

I like reading the magazine, but the propaganda gets a bit tiresome after a while. :(

yeah :lol:

I had a quick flick through the article again, i also thought it was a bit off to compare the DD2 to the DD7. From what i've read on FX websites, the price of the chips went down dramatically soon after the dd2 was released. I mean, you wouldn't use the price of computers in the 1980s compared to them now to suggest we were being ripped off then. :-?

Dave_Mc said:
I also thought it was a bit cheeky to compare JV squier prices to modern squier prices. I haven't tried any JVs, but from what I hear they're MIJ quality (considering they're made in japan). None of the modern squiers I've tried has been close to the Tokai Fender copies I've tried; heck, none of the MIMs has been close (including the mexican reissues), and I'd take a tokai over a lot of the MIA models, too.

Agreed, but do we really want the magazines to tell everybody that they're better off buying Japanese stuff? The prices would go up if they did...

Shhhhhhhhh. :wink:

Mike

stratman323 said:
Agreed, but do we really want the magazines to tell everybody that they're better off buying Japanese stuff? The prices would go up if they did...

Shhhhhhhhh. :wink:

Mike

Good point and agreed 100%. :D

It's interesting to see how they toe the line to please their advertisers. Still I suppose they are in the magazine business to make money.

The thing you always have to remember with the media is that you're the product. If you're good product, instilled with the right set of prejudices, so much the better.

I plugged the price of a 1959 Les Paul Standard into a dollar inflation calculator (that only went up to 2007, unfortunately).

The price I found for the '59 LP Standard was $275, I believe.

In 2007, according to the calculator, it should have cost about $1,900.

A VOS '59 Gibson didn't cost that in '07 :evil:

In fact, even the crappy, mass produced, full of holes 2007 LP Standard went for more, didn't it?

And why was the LP Standard discontinued after 1960? It was too expensive so it wasn't selling. :eek:

Their whole operation just stinks to high heaven.

Latest posts

Back