Guitaring Guitarist Workshopping Place

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigmania

Staff member
Reaction score
A place to post videos to make us better guitarists.

Here’s a cool one by Greg Koch on Jeff Beck technique:

Last edited:
A place to post videos to make us better guitarists.

Here’s a cool one by Greg Koch on Jeff Beck technique:

what Greg mentions at the 1:15 to 1:30 time frame is oh so true.
Watching other guitarists up close can be a great guitar lesson and I have been doing that for many years.
I have gone to many shows over nearly 50 years just to see what guitar players are doing with their hands; after all, that IS where tone happens.
One of the most memorable was Randy Rhoads in March, 1982, just four shows before he passed.

Greg is an animal of a guitar player and he is a really down to Earth guy.
Several years ago I was very fortunate to see Greg play twice in one day!!
Greg put on a master class at the former McNally Smith School of Music.
Seeing Greg in that master class was MIND BLOWING and that is an under statement.
Later that evening Greg played an outdoor set with his band 'The Tone Controls' with guest guitarist JD Simo!!!
JD was playing a 1960 Les Paul burst and Greg was playing a red Les Paul Standard.
Greg and JD tore up several old Allman Brothers standards adding along their own individual spice to the mix.
Hearing this show was incredible and unforgettable and seeing how JD and Greg obtained some of their soundscapes was a lesson I will never forget!!!

I think he’s a beast. Never seen him in person.

I had posted two of his videos but deleted the second one thinking other people wouldn’t care.

Another player that I HIGHLY recommend anyone interested in guitar is Andy Timmons.
The guy is an ANIMAL on guitar.

Years ago I resided in Dallas for fifteen years.
Andy had a weekly Wednesday night gig at Blue Cat Blues in Deep Ellum.
Anyone around could see one of the best guitarists (Andy) every week and that gig lasted a few years.
There is something about Dallas and guitar players; don't know if it's something in the water but even when they aren't from Dallas, Dallas just seems to attract really good guitar players.

Robin Trower is one of my all time favorites and I have seen him play in Dallas several times.
One of the biggest kicks I ever had was seeing Andy Timmons open for Robin Trower at The old Bronco Bowl in Dallas. I believe many folks at this show were wondering why they were gonna wait for Robin to show up after Andy's set. LOL. What an amazing show.

Around that same time frame I saw a ~25 year old Eric Gales open for Robin Trower at Antone's in Austin, Texas.
This was back when Eric was in a different place musically, when Eric's playing was on fire compared to the past 10 to 15 years.

Latest posts

Back