Tone comes from?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s cool.

I think emotions affect perception as well. So what you think about a guitar will affect what you hear. That’s why blind tests are so interesting to me.

Cool video.

Exactly. This video confirmed my findings over 50yrs of either setting up, swapping bits or building guitars from scratch.

two things I learned from the video
(1) dude prolly paid too much for the Anderson Tele because the 2 x 4 Tele sounds just as good
(2) I always knew air guitar needed strings
:lol:

I may be a bit dense, but it seems like this whole experiment is pointing to the pickups?

Here is a question, do the pickups affect sustain as well? Is there a sort of resonance that happens within the pickups? I know when I drive an amp I can get sustain beyond the ring out you get from the instrument alone.

This makes my concerns about buying a body and neck for a partscaster easier. 8)

Stronger magnets dampen the vibrations but also give you a stronger signal for the same number of windings. Pickup distance also has an affect due to magnetic strength over distance. If you want to check body resonance sustain, use a stethoscope.

The 2 x 4 worked well. Stiffness and joint help sustain, softness of any kind, dampen it.

The stethoscope suggestion is interesting. What do you notice using one?

I could tell a difference in pickup distance using a stopwatch.
You can hear different levels and sounds depending on where you place the scope. You could probably use a Fishman piezo pickup in a similar way. Never tried it personally but I have used an oscilloscope connected to a 1/4 jack to set pole pieces to give even signal levels.

I didn’t hear a substantive difference. Again might seem different to me if I was playing it. Playability is a completely different animal though.

In my mind this is pointing to the electronic circuit, primarily the pickups, as the most substantive factor affecting tone (on an electric plugged in and at volume), all other things being equal, including touch.

Agreed. Capacitor has an effect but only the value and not the construction type I.e. paper in oil or polyester.
Most capacitors are made with wide tolerances, so testing two of the same marked value, can give a different result due to those tolerances. Paper in oil variants degrade fairly quickly compared to all other types and consequently so does the capacitance value.

Here is a question, do the pickups affect sustain as well? Is there a sort of resonance that happens within the pickups? I know when I drive an amp I can get sustain beyond the ring out you get from the instrument alone.

This makes my concerns about buying a body and neck for a partscaster easier. 8)
Yes, there can be a sort of resonance that occurs within pickups in electric guitars. Pickups are essentially electromagnetic devices that capture the vibrations of the guitar strings and convert them into electrical signals. When the strings vibrate, they create a magnetic field that interacts with the magnets in the pickups, inducing an electrical current.

Back