where are you from?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAMAMATSU

Reaction score
8) my name is jo yoshida and i am originally from yokohama but lately yokosuka, japan. i am 48 and a guitar shop salesman and i have been playing the guitar since i was 15. i am a blues guy and into any good guitars very much. i was so into gibson/fender only before but now i am interested in any guitars. i didnt know much about tokai and MIJ guitars before i joined to this forum. this forum just gave me all the important knowledge and so i am so appriciated! thank you so much everyone and ned! i love this forum so i really hope this forum will come back popular again like before. dont know what happened exactly but its been a very poor shape here since. i try whatever i can do as much as i can do for this forum. so good luck! anyways, how about you guys?

@ if you have any japanese article that you want me to translate in english then ask me. i studied the english in california in the 90s so its ok!

I was born in Seattle. Moved to Alameda, CA (SF Bay Area) when I was 12. From there I've lived in Oklahoma, Austin, Chicago and now Dallas for many years.

marcusnieman said:
mdvineng said:
Manchester UK but soon to retire and relocate to Madrid Spain 8)

Friend and workmate of mine from nearby St. Helens did exactly the same thing.

My partner is already there, having taken a research and lectureship post at Madrid Uni. Lockdown has meant a longer separation than envisaged :cry: but we have to do what we can :)

marcusnieman said:
I was born in Seattle. Moved to Alameda, CA (SF Bay Area) when I was 12. From there I've lived in Oklahoma, Austin, Chicago and now Dallas for many years.

8) sorry to ask you this question cause you were probably asked million times before! have you seen SRV in person? were you possibly a good friend of him marcus?

HAMAMATSU said:
marcusnieman said:

8) sorry to ask you this question cause you were probably asked million times before! have you seen SRV in person? were you possibly a good friend of him marcus?

Saw him several times.... first time was in 1982 in Oklahoma - he was opening for Huey Lewis and the News. I thought.... wow, who the hell is this guy. After I moved to Austin, saw him a couple times before he really hit it big - playing smaller clubs but they were packed. Stevie was no secret to the Austin music scene. Not even close to being a friend of his.... just a huge fan. The one album that caught my ear before he hit it big was David Bowie's Let's Dance..... he played guitar on the whole thing and I think it's one of Bowie's best records. Give it a listen here - Stevie's playing is unmistakable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0ODoeBc04g

Bowie wanted Stevie to tour with him in support of the album but Stevie chose to go out on his own in support of his first album Texas Flood that came out at the same time..... 1983 I think.

Truth be told, I was actually a bigger fan of his older brother Jimmie and his band The Fabulous Thunderbirds also playing Austin.... this was long before they hit it big with the Tuff Enuff album in the mid 80's. Stevie was a monster, Jimmie is fantastic in his style too.... he's a "less is more" kind of player.

I live in Austin, TX but grew up in Houston. Have seen SRV numerous times and Eric Johnson more times than I can count - he's worth seeing anytime especially if he's still doing the Ah Via Musicom shows with the original band.

Got to meet Shohei Adachi (CEO of Tokai) numerous times at NAMM in the 90's, shared food and beverages with him on a few occasions.

ned said:
I live in Austin, TX but grew up in Houston. Have seen SRV numerous times and Eric Johnson more times than I can count - he's worth seeing anytime especially if he's still doing the Ah Via Musicom shows with the original band.

Got to meet Shohei Adachi (CEO of Tokai) numerous times at NAMM in the 90's, shared food and beverages with him on a few occasions.

Hey Ned, did you ever go see Nick Curran (RIP) during his time in Austin? Mike Barfield?

8) thank you very much for your great stories marcus and ned! i appriciate your tasty experiences. i just really wish if i could see SRV, it would have meant so much to me then. saw EJ once in the 90s in california, he was so great ofcourse. these people, the great texans! the real deal cool !!!!!!!!!!

Marcus- never saw either of them.

Have seen David Grisham play in a small bar, post Mellecamp, that was really cool.

G'day cobbers, I'm a newbie here so thought I might as well make my first post in this thread!

My name is Tosh, and I hail from the town of Colac in the state of Victoria, Australia.

Colac is about two hours south-west of the state capital Melbourne, and I recently made the decision to open a small music store to service the catchment of roughly 35,000 people within a 30-minute drive of the town who hadn't had a local store for about 5 years.

Being a big fan of Tokai, I made the decision to stock the brand in store, and it has been doing pretty well for me. I don't intend on spamming the board with sale links or anything like that (though I do want to support the forum - will have to message Ned to find out how that can be arranged), but I'm really keen to show off some of the models/series that are produced exclusively for the Australian market and give people some perspective from our side of the fence.

Currently, I'm rocking a Traditional Series AJB-58 in yellow sunburst (yes, I'm a filthy bass player!) which I was lucky enough to score from the Australian distributor for a steal as b-stock due to a scratch on the pickguard (I'll upload some nice shots of when I get home).

If anyone has requests for reviews of some of the more unique models we have down under, I'll be happy to provide my opinions, and possibly even some amateur video content!

Looking forward to being here!

Tosh

hi, mate. I am currently residing in Perth. I am a newbie here, glad to hear your story, such a long relationship with the guitar. :D

I live in Asheville, NC (USA) now but grew up in Atlanta and lived in Portland Oregon through the 90s.

I saw SRV two or three times? Once was a magical outdoor concert under a full moon at Chastain Park in Atlanta. Fabulous Thunderbirds opened. Stevie wore a wide brimmed hat and a big plumed feather or something in it and strutted the stage. He was definitely on that night. In his prime it seemed.

Another time I saw him in a bigger venue. Jeff Beck opened for him. They played Going Down together at one point. His Third Stone From The Sun was amazing. I remember him standing on his guitar and bending the neck. Crazy. The whole thing was filmed by a major production crew so I know the film exists somewhere.

I regret missing him at a small venue when he was touring the Texas Flood album.... The old Moonshadow Saloon in Atlanta. Grrrr.

He’s the only musician I cried about when he died. Seemed so sad to have gotten his life together then that happened. But he did a lot of growing. Good example for folks. Bless you SRV.

Here’s a video from the Chastain show. At 1:10:24 he talks about his turnaround.

https://youtu.be/-wvxaVcU7NI

Geoff

Back