your les paul is so heavy?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAMAMATSU

Reaction score
:roll: i love les paul very much now and then and there was a time in my life that i was really a les paul maniac before. it was so heavy mental like les pauls weight and it was long and wrong and wasted so much of my money and everything for a long time. i was very happy however but i dont want those les paul crazy times of mine back now. it was too much and too heavy. like all those les pauls, too heavy. so how is yours? very heavy? both your mental and guitars? our beloved les pauls. how do you deal with their heavy weight? i am getting older so it feels heavier lately too. my most recent love rock is a LS188S and its about 4.2kg. its normal i guess. but still feels very heavy and killing my shoulder and a playing appetite. OMG, our beloved les pauls. how can i live with it happily and what can i do for that? tell me your stories and thanks!

I own about a dozen LP types that range from the low 7 pound ball park to the 9 1/2 pound area.
All of these examples are the typical solid mahogany back with the carved maple top :D from several different MIJ makers. 8)
I typically prefer the lighter weight examples but my favorites are in the 8 pound to 9 pound range.
My lightest weight LP type is extremely loud unplugged; I like to play it when I don't use an amp. :)
The 9 pound plus examples typically don't seem to have that open, woody character of the lighter examples.
My 'sweet spot' for most (carved top) LP types is the 8 1/4 pound to 8 3/4 pound range; my three favorites are in this range & this is because of sonic/tonal response.
YMMV

I find a nice strap makes quite a bit of difference in how heavy a guitar feels. That being said my LP styles are not crazy heavy. My heaviest is my new Tokai Custom at 4.3 kilo (9.5lbs) and my lightest is a Greco Custom at 3.95 Kilo (8.72 Lbs). My jr however is 2.7 kilo though so its a very big difference. Hard to beat the p90 tone as well.

Latest posts

Back