Japanese middleman - obsoleteguitars.com

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moverton

Reaction score
I am looking at picking up a Bacchus Duke from a store in Japan. They won't ship internationally but I found obsoleteguitars.com from comments on this and other boards.
Does anyone have experience with this guy (one man shop I think).

Pegcityrocker said:
Not sure about obsoleteguitars. I have emailed him once and it took 2 weeks to get a reply. If you want a Duke why don't you buy one from Hisashi? He's a great seller and he has a couple of nice ones right now.

http://instruments.shop.ebay.com/Gu...&_ipg=&_ssn=hisashi0731&_trksid=p3911.c0.m282

He's been pretty responsive with me. Answered both emails within a few hours.
The reason I'm not buying one of Hisashi's is price. I found one just like his for less but it's at a small store that doesn't ship internationally.

How much does he charge to do that work for you? Sounds like a good service.

Also, it's very helpful when members add their location to their profile. :wink:

Pegcityrocker said:
How much does he charge to do that work for you? Sounds like a good service.

Also, it's very helpful when members add their location to their profile. :wink:

Added location.
He charges 95$ + actual cost

Bought a guitar on ebay from him, everything went fine.

The added middleman cost of $95 might have a negative effect on your
bargain. Plenty of straight up deals around without that extra cost
its a buyers market at the moment after all.

The added middleman cost of $95 might have a negative effect on your bargain. Plenty of straight up deals around without that extra cost
its a buyers market at the moment after all.

That being said; there are some nice deals that come up in Japan every once in a while on high end vintage guitars on digimart and j-guitar. An extra $95 wouldn't be too bad on the right guitar. Only problem is there usually sold in a matter of hours which wouldn't give you time to work out the deal with a third party.

I sent them an e-mail once and never heard back. No problems with Rinkya though. Their system makes it take quite a long time for the transaction to be completed from start to finish, but it was easy.

Jason

moverton said:
Pegcityrocker said:
Not sure about obsoleteguitars. I have emailed him once and it took 2 weeks to get a reply. If you want a Duke why don't you buy one from Hisashi? He's a great seller and he has a couple of nice ones right now.

http://instruments.shop.ebay.com/Gu...&_ipg=&_ssn=hisashi0731&_trksid=p3911.c0.m282

He's been pretty responsive with me. Answered both emails within a few hours.
The reason I'm not buying one of Hisashi's is price. I found one just like his for less but it's at a small store that doesn't ship internationally.

The price will be a little dearer with Hisashi because he has to honour the sale. if anything happens in transit or there is a fault Hisashi will sort it out for you. I have dealt with Hisashi many times and he is a good seller and has always been honest with me. A middle man just adds one more possible problem to the sale in my opinion..

Mick

Koubayashi said:
In a worst case scenario I might be able to help you.

May I ask you to think of me if you see somewhere an obg hardcase for my 59 reissue ? If it's even possible to find one... :cry:

leadguitar_323 said:
The price will be a little dearer with Hisashi because he has to honour the sale. if anything happens in transit or there is a fault Hisashi will sort it out for you. I have dealt with Hisashi many times and he is a good seller and has always been honest with me. A middle man just adds one more possible problem to the sale in my opinion..

Mick

I have nothing against Hisashi. The price in this particular case was $400 more through him. With fees and shipping it was $1350. With shipping Hisashi was $1740. The guitar was 50% off at one Japanese store.

It really comes down to honour and reputation. eBay makes knowing Hasashi's reputation easy. You can see his feedback. All I have on the obsolete guitar guy is his paypal rating. This is of course the original reason for this post. There is always a middleman. In the case of Hisashi, there are at least two. eBay is going to get 8% + paypal fees.

Hi,
here's his eBay member ID: h6038107 has good feedback
hasn't being active lately though, cross check sales feedback with
obseleteguitars.com guitars. may be a different guy selling on eBay for him

hope it helps

Deadstring said:
Hi,
here's his eBay member ID: h6038107 has good feedback
hasn't being active lately though, cross check sales feedback with
obseleteguitars.com guitars. may be a different guy selling on eBay for him

Good detective work. I think it is the same guy. All the other activity I could find on him says the same thing. Was pretty active and then slowed down a year or two ago. Looks like he left his site up and still responds but isn't pushing it.

I ran into a problem with this whole thing. Paypal wanted to issue an eCheck. I never heard of eChecks. They take days to clear. I wrote him back to tell him what was going on. He's probably thinking I'm some idiot scammer. The guitar goes off sale today. I'll have to wait and see if they list it again.
Weird thing is I went into paypal again today and now it says direct transfer is ok. Arrrgghhhh!

Back