Guitars As Craft, History And Art

Discussion that is not Tokai or guitar focused.

Moderator: ned

Sigmania
Donating Member

Guitars As Craft, History And Art

Post by Sigmania » Thu May 20, 2021 10:50 am

There’s this phenomenon of not being able to see and appreciate what’s near.

The “grass is greener on the other side” phenomenon.

It took British guitarists showing Americans what they had for them to appreciate it.

Eric Clapton, Keith Richards, Peter Green, etc. grabbing vintage 1959 Les Pauls and Clapton gifting several 1950s Strats he found in Nashville to his friends like George Harrison.

At that time these were guitars languishing in American pawn shops while the American guitar market was focused elsewhere.

There were some exceptions of course of American guitarists like Billy Gibbons and Norman Blake who appreciated older American instruments. But too often what we Americans have we don’t appreciate and value the next thing. New things.

So innovation over preservation.

Thank God for the meticulous craftsmen in Japan for noticing what had been created and valuing it and trying to create more of “those” amazing things.

It’s not just Tokai. It’s a centuries old ethic of valuing craft in Japan. Many examples of incredible woodworking in Buddhist temples in Japan dating back over a thousand years. Incredible joinery, carving, etc.

Wood and woodworking have been valued in Asia for thousands of years whereas in America we are relative newcomers.

I look at guitars as art, with particular interest in the woods used.

I first became aware of the number of pieces the bodies of guitars were made of because of the way Tokai valued large pieces of lumber in how they priced their models.

Bigger pieces, typically from larger older trees or prime cuts were valued above others.

I hadn’t seen that focus in American guitars outside of boutique brands or flame tops. It’s a different mindset that I appreciate.

And when they play well and sound good on top of that they become masterpieces in my mind, as much as any object sitting in a museum.
Last edited by Sigmania on Fri May 21, 2021 7:20 am, edited 6 times in total.
'79 LS80 GT Reborn, '79 ST100 Springy, '81 LS100S Hog, '81 ST80 Springy, '81 TE120 Breezy, '82 LS120 Love Rock (solid flame maple top), '82 JB50 Jazz Sounds

HAMAMATSU
Guitar God

Re: Guitars As Craft, History And Art

Post by HAMAMATSU » Fri May 21, 2021 12:10 am

QUALITY THAN QUANTITY!

Sigmania
Donating Member

Post by Sigmania » Fri May 21, 2021 4:59 am

Thanks Hamamatsu! I see lots of pictures of amazing guitars in the gallery.

Masterpieces.... 8)

http://guitarhq.com/gallery.html

Beautiful. Thank you!
'79 LS80 GT Reborn, '79 ST100 Springy, '81 LS100S Hog, '81 ST80 Springy, '81 TE120 Breezy, '82 LS120 Love Rock (solid flame maple top), '82 JB50 Jazz Sounds

Sigmania
Donating Member

Post by Sigmania » Fri May 21, 2021 6:44 am

Just endless and mind boggling.... :lol:

http://guitarhq.com/paf.html

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Post by guitar hiro » Fri May 21, 2021 7:07 am

Thanks to the OP for such a great post, with many truths. 8)
'holier than thou cuntiness' was originally exported to the entire planet from the land of rocks and trees aka Cadada, and now the entire solar system is infected :lol: