Rinkya Shipping Has Gone Ballistic

Discussion that is not Tokai or guitar focused.

Moderator: ned

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Rinkya Shipping Has Gone Ballistic

Post by guitar hiro » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:33 am

My last Rinkya shipment was 3 months ago: $185 to ship a package that weighed 9300 grams.

Just paid $215 to ship a package that weighs 6400 grams.

Same size box, with nearly 1/3rd less weight, cost $30 more. :roll:

Shipping companies typically increase rates around March, April time frame but this is nutz.

Get ready to open up those wallets boys & girls. :lol:
'holier than thou cuntiness' was originally exported to the entire planet from the land of rocks and trees aka Cadada, and now the entire solar system is infected :lol:

mdvineng
Guitar God

Re: Rinkya Shipping Has Gone Ballistic

Post by mdvineng » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:55 am

They're also blaming a shortage of containers for the increases.
Tokai VSB80 OF, Michael Kelly Patriot custom, Epiphone Elite SG & EB3. 8)

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Post by guitar hiro » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:59 am

mdvineng wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:55 am
They're also blaming a shortage of containers for the increases.

I have heard & read about this but only in regard to sea/surface shipping; not as it relates to air freight.

my stuff gets shipped via air freight, namely FedEx air so, it's in a M-1, or similar container.

Sea going containers can be tied up for weeks, maybe months but aircraft containers are loaded & emptied rather quickly by comparison; typically within 24 to 48 hours, max.
'holier than thou cuntiness' was originally exported to the entire planet from the land of rocks and trees aka Cadada, and now the entire solar system is infected :lol:

mdvineng
Guitar God

Post by mdvineng » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:11 pm

There could be a knock on effect though!

And a crisis is always an opportunity to put up prices.

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Post by guitar hiro » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:12 pm

I don't see the current situation as being anything other than (1) a typical yearly rate increase (2) that was made worse, dollar wise, because of a pandemic that was an easy excuse to increase rates to a much higher degree than typical rate increases.

I could be wrong but my gut tells me I'm close to 'spot on.'

hunter
Guitar God

Post by hunter » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:23 pm

Don't forget Rinkya puts a service charge on every shipping order. An additional 25% on top of inflated shipping charges is a bit much. Their commission fees on high end items is ridiculous too. I still buy with them when necessary but prefer Buyee services more.

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Post by guitar hiro » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:53 pm

the 25% additional at packaging is already a baked in given; no surprises there. I'll gladly pay that for Rinkya's virtually bullet proof packaging.
That is 'insurance' in my book & I don't mind paying that, as a premium.

however, a $30 up charge for basically 1/3rd less weight is a kick in the ass, IMO.
I have been placed on notice. :lol:

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Post by guitar hiro » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:55 pm

I will have to say the guitar I have on the way is extremely rare, possibly a one off, and it is not in a hard case. :o

Having said that, I have never had a single issue with Rinkya packaging in over 11 years, and with over 100 plus guitars shipped.

Scott & the Rinkya warehouse crew do an impeccable job of packaging guitars; they always arrive free of any damage. 8)

Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself. :lol:

mdvineng
Guitar God

Post by mdvineng » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:37 pm

Don't think that I could sleep with a guitar not in a hard case :o

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Post by guitar hiro » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:58 am

Here is an excerpt of Scott's reply to my email asking about shipping costs.
"Unfortunately Fedex raises their prices weekly due to fuel and extra handling surcharges. It is a way for them to offset the losses they are experiencing due to COVID, since they have closed down economy. It is affecting everyone.
Fedex charges based on dimension not actual weight. Generally guitar packages are the same dimension depending on the size and shape of the guitar. So a 6.5kgs guitar vs 9.5 kg guitar would cost the same if the size of the box remains the same."

So, I'm a bit miffed with Scott's explanation because both boxes that I refer to in my OP have the exact same dimensions, yet Scott states, "Fedex charges based on dimension. not actual weight." He did however state, "Fedex raises their prices weekly due to fuel and extra handling surcharges."
I guess I'm not getting something there but it is what it is. I was getting to a point where I don't have any room to stash guitars any how so, maybe this is a good excuse for me to slow down on my buying, or maybe just have a temporary freeze on buying for a while.

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Post by guitar hiro » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:04 am

mdvineng wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:37 pm
Don't think that I could sleep with a guitar not in a hard case :o
I have had plenty of guitars shipped to me from Japan without a hard case; have had zero issues, so far. :)
Watanabesan used to call me 'lucky boy' so, maybe he was on to something. :lol:

mdvineng
Guitar God

Post by mdvineng » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:56 am

guitar hiro wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:58 am
Here is an excerpt of Scott's reply to my email asking about shipping costs.
"Unfortunately Fedex raises their prices weekly due to fuel and extra handling surcharges. It is a way for them to offset the losses they are experiencing due to COVID, since they have closed down economy. It is affecting everyone.
Fedex charges based on dimension not actual weight. Generally guitar packages are the same dimension depending on the size and shape of the guitar. So a 6.5kgs guitar vs 9.5 kg guitar would cost the same if the size of the box remains the same."

So, I'm a bit miffed with Scott's explanation because both boxes that I refer to in my OP have the exact same dimensions, yet Scott states, "Fedex charges based on dimension. not actual weight." He did however state, "Fedex raises their prices weekly due to fuel and extra handling surcharges."
I guess I'm not getting something there but it is what it is. I was getting to a point where I don't have any room to stash guitars any how so, maybe this is a good excuse for me to slow down on my buying, or maybe just have a temporary freeze on buying for a while.
Freight companies use a Volumetric system to price shipping, it's a combination of size and weight. As for prices going up, here they allowed hairdressers to reopen for business and surprisingly their prices are up as much as 40% TF I'm bald :lol:

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Post by guitar hiro » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:12 pm

mdvineng wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:56 am

Freight companies use a Volumetric system to price shipping, it's a combination of size and weight. As for prices going up, here they allowed hairdressers to reopen for business and surprisingly their prices are up as much as 40% TF I'm bald :lol:
Well, I suppose being bald could be a good thing; at least you don't toss away good money for haircuts & such. :)
Silver lining in there somewhere. 8)

Myself? I'm 60 years old & my hair hasn't been as long as it currently is since 1995 when it was down near my butt.
This whole pandemic crap has caused me to make a bit of return to my youth, even my 'long hair hippy' days. 8)

Thank goodness mom & pop blessed me with the genetics I inherited. :)
Still smoke like Hell too. :lol:

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Post by guitar hiro » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:28 pm

Got a really big surprise today; shipment showed up less than 48 hours from posting. :o

That has to be one of the FASTEST ever deliveries from Japan to me.

As expected no hard case, just a flimsy gig bag, all is well, and only 7 lb. - 8 oz., and that's with a 12 oz. Bigsby. :D

One other thing; all four pots are (original) A500K ohm pots. Deviser is weird, like that. :lol:

mdvineng
Guitar God

Post by mdvineng » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:40 pm

Good result 8)
It would be interesting to see what the rotation of the tone pot delivers, usually lin pots are nothing, nothing, nothing, everything in the last quarter.