• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

WTB: 80s Tokai Explorer and/or light LS-80 goldtop

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laundromat

Reaction score
I’m looking for an early 80s Tokai Explorer, preferably in natural or black. All conditions considered as long as the neck is intact.
Another possibility would be a light goldtop LS-80 (4 kg or under) from the same era.
If the right one shows up, I could also consider throwing my all-mahogany ‘81 LS-100 ON in as a part of the trade within Europe.

Oh wow. That LS100S ON is quite a lure. I have one myself and it is my favorite Les Paul. I doubt I will ever get rid of it. Amazing sustain.

Sigmania said:
Amazing sustain.
I really don't know what it is about these that makes them that way. I had never really paid attention to how my guitars sustain except if they were completely dead. With this one you strike a chord and it's like a grand piano, you can really go and have a bite.

Of course getting rid of it doesn't make much sense, but I rarely play it. I'm lucky enough to also have a '81 LS-100 "Joe Walsh" OR, that's been around the block a few more times. The difference between the sound of these two reminds me of how they called the ES models J and R. Whereas the darker red/brown is more deep, mellow and jazzy if you will, the brighter red is more in your face and rocking. Most of my friends who have tried both preferred the ON, but I just get along better with the OR.

Oh interesting. Do they both have DiMarzio PAFs?

The OR is a one piece body I believe. Wondering if your ON is one over one like mine?

Yeah, both have the original Dimarzios and measure in the same range. As far as I can tell, they both have a one piece top over a one piece body. The neck on the OR is ever so slightly slimmer, which might contribute to the spankier feel. The OR has brass saddles, which should round out the tone a bit, but the ON with zinc saddles is still mellower sounding.
I wish I had seen the Rebord GT that sold in Germany a bit earlier...

Thanks for that. Check the OR the next time you change your strings. I think a couple other members on here that had them said they were one piece.

Spring 1982 catalog says they are one piece.

tmGI9T1.jpg

1957 RARE MODEL LS10OS OR ¥ 114,000 GUITAR ¥ 100000 VINTAGE HARD CASE ¥ 14,000 The old red special model that is familiar to Joe Walsh as a trademark for guitar freaks. The LS100S is a reproduction of the standard model of this mahogany 1-piece body, which was slightly manufactured from 1957 to 1958, using the original material as it is. We create sticky sustain and exquisite tone nuances that cannot be obtained with maple tops. Southern rock, blues rock, and hard, the mahogany standard that is the envy of the first appearance in Japan.

Back