Momose MES - Anyone have experience with these?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitar hiro

Tokai Supporter
Reaction score
I have been looking for a Momose MES for years but they typically get snapped up really quick when offered.
Finally located one that was available and pulled the trigger; hopefully I like it when it shows up.
https://www.deviser.co.jp/products/mes1-bp-nj
When I inquired about the MES I purchased Deviser stated, "The model you inquired about was built around July of 2013 here in our Aska Workshop."

I have sold off every single Tokai ES example that I ever purchased for one reason; narrow and thin necks. :(

So, I am wondering if anyone here has any experience with the Momose MES models?
What do you like, what do you not like, what should I expect from the MES?
Thanks for any input. :D

I don’t have any input other than to say congratulations. Hope it’s what you’re looking for. Post pics when you get it.

Sigmania said:
I don’t have any input other than to say congratulations. Hope it’s what you’re looking for. Post pics when you get it.

I truly am looking forward to this MES; at least Deviser advertised the nut width as being 43 mm so, that means a standard width neck :D and the fingerboard is Madagascar rosewood. :) Going by the serial number range on this one I believe it may be one of the earlier MES examples which IMO would also be a bonus. Also has the original hard case w/key and matching warranty card so, nice to have the complete package.

Many years ago I owned a 2005 ES-120 and a 2005 ES-100 at the same time.
The 120 had the highly figured maple body with a nitro clear coat.
The 100 had a plain maple body with a urethane clear coat.
The necks however seemed to be basically identical; narrower in nut width and on the thinner spectrum in neck thickness.
Between the two I actually preferred the ES-100 as it was very light weight at 7 lb. - 8 oz. and it had a more open and unrestrained sonic nature compared to the ES-120, which sounded quite a bit less responsive and 'darker' in nature.
I eventually sold them both because of the 'smallish' necks. :cry:

I am waaaaaaay over due for an ES style as I haven't owned one in many years and I am hoping this MES is the one that scratches the itch. :lol:

MES was stuck in US Customs for over six days :eek: WTF :evil:

I was beginning to think that maybe the guitar was stolen

Out of Customs yesterday after 12 PM; hopefully a delivery tomorrow and hopefully delivered without a customs duty.

MES arrived today after a six plus day stay in US Customs and to my surprise there was no customs duty. :D

Guitar looks to be in completely original and excellent condition 8) bonus points for the original MES case with 2 case keys and matching/dated warranty card :D

The neck thickness and profile seem to be more of a hand full than any Tokai ES I have owned. A very good start for my first MES. :D

had the opportunity to document a few attributes on the MES; also took the opportunity to remove the old, very light gauge strings that it came with and to lemon oil the Madagascar rosewood fingerboard. After a thorough inspection of the guitar I see no indication that anything has been changed so, this example looks to be all original. :) Since the guitar came to me in such excellent condition along with the original case w/2 case keys and the matching warranty card it is very possible I received the the guitar from the original owner.

The construction of this guitar is pretty much impeccable. The long neck tenon has the typical Deviser super tight fit with absolutely no slop/open spaces. Looking through the F holes there is no evidence of any stray glue residue anywhere. The linings look to made from kerfed strips of Mahogany/African Khaya. The lining that is visible looks impeccably uniform though most would likely never look inside to see such uniform detail.

I was happy to finally receive a MIJ ES335 style guitar that had a standard 43mm width nut (unlike every Tokai ES I have owned) and also a nice neck thickness. The neck thickness at fret 1 is nearly .890" which puts it just slightly above the average neck thickness listed for a 1959 LP Standard listed in the BOTB. The neck however doesn't really have the 'feel' of a neck with that thickness as the neck doesn't have as much shoulder as some other guitar necks have. That is not a bad thing; just different. I think this neck profile is actually a great in between profile for a '58 and a '60 type neck profile. :)

One real surprise on the guitar are the frets. The frets are supposed to be Jescar FW9662-NS, which I have read are supposed to be pretty much like a Dunlop 6105, .090 W x .055 H. The MES frets consistently measure at .064" H. :eek: I know that sounds weird, even to my ears, and from my experience. I'm thinking how can this be; why are the frets so tall? Could this be a re-fret? I doubt that as the frets look like the highly detailed work from the Deviser Aska facility. I will have to say the frets will have plenty of height for filing and for crowning, if that is ever needed but the guitar will most likely never require a re-fret.

Looking forward to letting the newly lemon oiled Madagascar fingerboard dry out for a day or two, getting some new strings on the beast, and then seeing what the guitar has to offer as a player.

IMO the best way to try out a new fiddle is to play something you enjoy hearing and playing that was played on a similar instrument so I have been playing a lot of tunes from one of my favorite Rush albums (2112) :D to put the MES through its' paces to see what it has to offer.

During my little bit of playing time with the (new to me) MES I have discovered my search for an ES type is pretty much over. 8)
This MES is pretty much all I could ever want from a 335 type; really nice chunky neck, very good tuning stability, easy string bends with a 10/46 string set, and the stock pickups actually sound very good. The build quality that comes from the Deviser Aska facility just happens to be a great added bonus.

This MES is not a showy piece like some of the highly figured and flamed maple Tokai ES examples I have owned in the past. This MES has some really plain maple but I guess at the end of the day it's all about what the guitar actually does for the player; not how great it looks. This MES isn't even the color (natural) I wanted but I will take what I ended up with. My many years search for the 'right' 335 type has ended and with a surprise; a Momose. This MES is a nice reward after years of looking around.

Our first stop is in Bogota
To check Colombian fields
The natives smile and pass along
A sample of their yield

Sweet Jamaican pipe dreams
Golden Acapulco nights
Then Morocco, and the East
Fly by morning light

We're on the train to Bangkok
Aboard the Thailand Express
We'll hit the stops along the way
We only stop for the best