Headway Slothead Koa Acoustic

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that's a very nice one, indeed 8)

If I were ever at the level of paying that kinda scratch for a guitar like that, I would get one custom built by a local luthier, here where I reside.
He has a stash of koa, he loves to build with it, and he is one of the top acoustic builders known for his koa guitars.
I think he is nearing 700 guitars now, over a ~50 year period.
He also has some amazing figured sitka bear claw spruce.
One of his custom builds would be in the ball park of the Headway.

Even when he is not using koa for back/side sets he sometimes uses koa for binding; it has an amazing visual appeal. 8)

Very nice. Probably my favorite wood.

And I’m with you re price and what I would do at that price point.

Years ago I balked at buying a very special Froggy Bottom made from a mahogany log sunk in a river in Florida. It was around $5,000. Now similar ones sell for around $20,000. Which is of course crazy.

Would be cool to select wood for a custom build. If you ever do it please post pictures.

I wanted to play guitar before I was 10 years of age & the sound in my mind was always an electric guitar. :D
My first guitar was a nylon string classical & I hated it, because it didn't sound like what I wanted to hear. :evil:
I have one acoustic & that's pretty much all I will ever need; a 1979 K. Yairi YW. 8)
It has a 1/4 sawn spruce top, Brazilian back/sides, ebony bridge & fingerboard, abalone position markers, tons of MOP inlay all over, and it was made the year I graduated high school; 1979. It rings like a bell, loud, strong, commanding, etc.; all the acoustic I will ever need. :D
I have had enumerable folks ask me to sell it but f*** that. :lol:

It is basically a copy of a high end CF Martin.
If it was a Martin with the same build spec, I could sell it & buy an automobile with the proceeds but I'm glad it's a high end MIJ. 8)

Yeah. They made some good ones. I sold the K Yairi I had.

My first guitar was a plastic Sears guitar. In the early 1970s and I was probably around 7 years old? I played one string up and down and had no concept of chords. Then a few years later my brother gave me a Fender acoustic. No idea what happened to it.

My first electric guitar I got when I was 16. It was a black Hondo Les Paul. Probably plywood. I traded my Bell Star motorcycle helmet to a friend for it after i crashed my G5 Kawasaki 100 enduro and should have died.

My first real guitar my girlfriend helped me get. Birthday present or something? A late 60s Fender Mustang. I was 18.

I got back into acoustics when I lived in Portland, Or in the 90s and bluegrass and folk music kind of blew up out there. I would try my hand at Flat picking like Doc Watson and Tony Rice after being led there by Jerry Garcia and that Bear’s Choice album….

Memories.

And I wouldn’t pay five grand for a guitar unless it was the 1930s Martin dreadnought that I let slip through my fingers. That thing was so resonant it felt like it played itself.

Where’s the crying emoji? Lol

Back