Bacchus Strats

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigmania

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering about Bacchus STs. I’ve never owned or played one, but have always liked the painted body STs.

Wondering if there are different models and ways to tell what the construction is under the paint?

Also, how do they sound/play? Electronics, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

every Vintage Series era (circa 1998 - 2005) Strat I ever had in my hands was constructed with a 2 piece, center seam body.
That covers several models; BSR-98, BST-54V, BST-57V, BST-64V, BST-67V, BST-62, BSR-SRV, and whatever this hard tail SRV Charley Strat is.
The center seam bodies will typically be be evident using a bright light source; there is typically a very slight dimple @ the seam.
Checking the unfinished neck pocket flat & wall, can also confirm the center seam.
All of my Vintage Series BTLs have had 2 piece, center seam bodies but I have seen a very few in photos that were obviously off-set.
Pots are typically quality, easy to turn NOBLE pots but I have seen an occasional deviation from that.
Pickups in the early models were flat pole Alnico Special, and the later ones typically had beveled pole Yuta pickups.
I prefer the sound response of the Alinico Special pups but I have read a lot of opinions posted that prefer the later beveled pole Yuta pups. It's all subjective; right?
A very, very few early examples had Lindy Fralins as original.
The SRV Charley has some type of lipstick pickups.
As one TF member (who currently resides in Japan) previously stated, I never had any turds from a MIJ Bacchus. :lol:
The consistency of manufacture is hard to beat & the bang for the buck is still a bargain; IMHO.
It was fairly easy to locate Vintage Series BST examples 10 to 20 years ago but they are now quite difficult to source, IMO.
The very few times they do show up they typically get snapped up like bottled water in a desert.

Sigmania said:

that one looks to have (1) flat pole piece pickups (2) round lam 'board (3) 007*** serial # (4) small head stock = BST-64V

Circa 1998 to 2000

placing a 'date' on Bacchus examples has come down to several items: documented warranty cards with penciled in dates of sell, combined with serial #s, and documented catalog examples. There is NO serial # scheme that supports placing a date of manufacture on any example, that I am aware of.

mdvineng said:
I understand that an email to Deviser will return information from the ser #

I have contacted Deviser many times over many years & I have yet to have that experience.

You should purchase some lottery tickets brother.

Thanks again for the info. So that’s a nice one then.

How about the newer one? The pink one. Are the newer ones as well made? Are they made in Japan?

Thanks in advance.

guitar hiro said:
mdvineng said:
I understand that an email to Deviser will return information from the ser #

I have contacted Deviser many times over many years & I have yet to have that experience.

You should purchase some lottery tickets brother.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I was only going off info from an acquaintance. He left a message on the website as opposed to a direct email

if I were looking to purchase a Bacchus Strat I would be looking to purchase this one 8) from a fellow TF member :wink:

https://reverb.com/item/39968823-bacchus-japan-bst-64v-faded-ice-blue-metallic

By viewing the 13th photo it looks like an Inca Silver color with a nicely 'yellowed' top lacquer 8)

kinda reminds me of this one, except without the extra ~$50K price tag :lol: but I suppose you could ask Hiroki Iwai for a discount. :lol:

http://www.hi-guitars.com/VG2075.html

Nice goldie. But I actually like the bright colors. What got me started was the cover of an old Japan Vintage magazine with a rainbow of painted Fernandez guitars on the cover. I haven’t owned a Fernandez Strat either. Wonder how Bacchus and older Fernandez strats compare?

Uh oh....... Now I am going to have to find that!

Edit: Wowza! Big bucks. Will watch for a copy now. 8)

This is the image that did it to me...

O3v4lEA.jpg

I always liked this picture too. Especially the Lake Placid blue. I never got one because the ones I saw were ST55/60s I think? I do have a CAR ST80.

hA9NJ8M.jpg

Latest posts

Back