Hard Puncher PB-48 Dating

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeefFlat

Reaction score
Hi All - I'm looking for a 1979 Hard Puncher and recently came across a nice one on eBay. Serial number is 8001605. They are advertising it as a 79 but from what I could find, it appears to be a 78? Can anyone here definitively date this instrument? Thanks, I appreciate it.

That's a 1978 PB48 YS with super cool hang tags.

WBqiJmx.jpg

44wdYVL.jpg

Thanks @Sigmania. Yes, that's the one I'm looking at. I'm intrigued by a birth year bass and Tokai seems to be the best bang for the buck, plus I heard the quality around that time was second to none.

They make good guitars. This was their entry level guitar (48), but that for Tokai was still a very good instrument.

The cool thing about this one is the hang tags. Rare to have those after 45 almost years.

I would assume it's a very late 1978 build and so actually an early 1979 model. The very first Tokai catalog (Vol 1, 1978) contains only a single PB model, the high-end PB-80, with the 48 making its debut in the 1979 Vol 2 catalog. Either that, or the '78 catalog didn't contain the full range (which has been known to happen). The 48 was the low-end model at the time, but the 70's/contemporary PB-40 came along in 1980.

Very nice bass, and you gotta love the case candy.

And the basses apparently had a separate numbering system. This one is SN 8001605.

By the time Springys were numbered on the neck plate in 1978 the count was between 2,000 and 3,000. The lowest number I’ve seen is bluejeannot’s ST50, SN 8003028.

Pretty cool.

I would guess this might be the narrower bolt pattern? Hard to tell from the pictures. Did the basses have that variation like the Springys?

Latest posts

Back