Here's an unusual one: TJB-55G AMRR

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voidoid56

Reaction score
Just bought this one, a 1984 Tokai TJB-55G AMRR.
Seller's pics, it's still two-three months out. I'll add internals etc when I receive it.

Pretty unusual bass, a sort of "reverse PJ", i e a Jazz Sound with a Hard Puncher pickup in the neck position. It's all-Metallic Red and has gold-plated hardware.

4RzE3oG.jpg

C5w7Ot7.jpg

zNvDFyU.jpg

Small tuners.
zkgCUhN.jpg

55 sticker and L17 serial, which would put it in late 1984.

YlQVZan.jpg

It's in the 1985 catalog, on the last spread with the other vintage-style models, in black.

jZkvcV7.jpg

I managed to track down a few more with google, so obviously either not a big seller or a limited run. All with visible serials were L16 or L17, i e made late in 1984, which could indicate a batch made for the launch of the '85 range, then no more.
White pickguard on this one.

ca5IMkG.jpg

AOWR with white pickguard, L16 serial.

G2JA4VZ.jpg

All-black, L17 serial.

4ZW00eB.jpg

I also found a couple with just matching headstock and nickel hardware. This one's MBR, L18 serial, unreadable sticker. The speed knobs are almost certainly mods.

pQh5bbS.jpg

This one looks to be in an odd colour, kind of dark pewter-blue. The single-ply pickguard looks like a mod, the barrel knobs could be. Nickel hardware, small tuners, 50 sticker, blank (replaced?) neck plate.

zNLhi6p.jpg

So, has anyone had one?

That is super cool! You have some amazing painted Fender style Tokais and Grecos. I am starting to envision a sort of museum. 8)

Last edited:
To be honest, this one's an RRR-purchase: Research, Restore, Resell. I'm going to figure it out, document it, fix any issues, clean it up and then flip it. Which will finance the next purchase. :)

What I actually "collect" in the accepted sense are oddball Greco Strats. The supply of those seems endless, so they're slowly filling up my home, And yeah, a fair amount of those are all one colour or have matching headstocks. Other than that, I have a few other guitars that are nice to have in the home studio, at least one of the other classics (LP, SG, Tele, JM etc) and a few wildcards (Greco Ric 360 and Dano Shorthorn, 1960's Teisco etc).

In fact, the only two solid Tokai keepers I have are a 1982 Tokai ST-60MRR, aka "Patient Zero", my very first MIJ and dear to my heart, and a 1981 ST-55GMR, because it's... well, gold. :) But I think about 15 other ST/SS models must have passed through here during the years, and at least one more is incoming. Also a couple of Breezys and a fair number of basses.

Yeah, it's definitely an obsession. :)

Latest posts

Back