Tokai Jazz Sound MIJ??? Help

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackeyes

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I need your help identifying if this bass is really made in Japan as is printed on the neck.

https://es.wallapop.com/item/bajo-tokai-jazz-sound-japon-780477604

I've asked the owner for the complete serial number and he said is 140116. He sent me a picture.

Thanks very much in advance for any advice

Looks like it’s a 2014 MIJ Tokai bass.

It has the non offending headstock.

The matching paint cost extra. Beautiful.

Have a look here on page 9. This catalog is from 2018.

https://www.vintagejapanguitars.com.br/en/tokai-2018-catalogue/

LH5j0St.jpg

Thanks.

I was pointed in the direction that no Japan Made Jazz Sound has headstock trussrod access. That MIJ has heel trussrod access only.

Is this true?

The catalog shot shows MIJ models, and it looks like 5 of the 7 basses shown have truss rod adjustment in the headstock.

There were different product lines. This picture shows the “Vintage Series”.

The “Traditional Series” is probably heel adjustment like actual "vintage" Tokais.

The one you posted looks like it might be a 2014 AJB97 or something very similar.

Thank you very much to all for your comments. As you may have noticed I am new to the forum and little (or not at all) an expert in the Tokai world ...and English is not my primary language :lol:

So far, should I be concerned about access to the truss rod through the headstock?

I've searched for images of this same bass (or most approximate) and can't find any that have truss rod access through the headstock.

I am worried because I have already advanced money to the seller and I am afraid it is a very well-made fake.

He sent a new image showing that pots were Japan Made, with "made in Japan" printed on them.

Thank you very much again for all the information you can give me no matter how small.

I’m no expert on these, but the guitar you posted looks just like the AJB106 in the catalog I linked. Just a different color. Same truss rod adjustment. It looks like a legitimate MIJ Tokai Jazz Sound from 2014.

Is there a way to actually see the serial number?

Not sure why the seller isn’t showing you everything.

Yes,

I already have a photo showing the serial# 140116 which looks authentic. What worries me is that there is no AJB MIJ with access to the truss rod in the headstock. I haven't found a single example on the entire web.

My eyes may be playing tricks on me, but don’t most of the basses in the 2018 catalog picture I posted have a truss rod adjustment in the headstock?

It’s hard to see on the painted headstocks, but looks like it might be on those as well?

ietf0An.jpg

Looks like the AJB106 from the catalog.

Catalog lists the color: OTM (Turquoise Metallic).

R= Rosewood board.

So 2014 AJB106 OTMR or price equivalent.

So here are the 3 colors offered in the AJB106 at that time:

GL4jKgJ.png

kDhvvVU.png

loxjhCj.png

It all looks correct to me.

If you want a more vintage look, then look for the Fender head stock & truss rod adjustment, but it doesn't affect how it sounds. Just easier to adjust the truss rod & has a different look.

I think it's a sharp looking bass. You would definitely notice it on stage. 8)

Interesting side note, if that bass sold for 106,000 yen when it was new in 2014.

The price you seem to be paying is slightly less than new when you convert it (not counting for inflation).

750 vs 769 euros.

Slightly more these days new. 114,000 yen (AJB114). 827 euros.

7KYjsUP.png

S2A3PeX.png

gpephXP.png

Thank you very much for all your information. I still think that our eyes want to see access to the turss rod through the headstock but it is very difficult to be 100% sure and in that color.

I don't really care if it's accessed from one side or the other. What matters to me is that it is authentic MIJ and that if I have to sell it in the future I won't have this same problem.

The bass is beautiful and surely sounds fantastic. But I don't want to fall into a Fake.

I have asked the seller for more information that I hope to receive shortly.

About the price, I am located in Europe so you always have to add import costs and store margins. :D

Latest posts

Back