Is it from 1981 or 82?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desmodeath

Reaction score
Hello!

I bought this bass from Moscow just before the russian invasion and war against Ukraine. It’s not the bass fault… According to the information on the Tokai registry it should be manufactured sometime between 1981 and 1982. Can I get a more precise dating?

Regards

P

https://imgur.com/a/qElP5jW

That serial number system was supposedly in effect by Feb 1, 1982 based on a catalog translation.

Unfortunately there’s no way to pull a date from the serial number.

Also, I’m not sure when they started phasing it in? The catalog said fully implemented by 2/1/82.

So I guess it’s possible it was made at the tail end of 1981?

Are there codes on the pots? That may help.

Also, I think the model is a JB45BBR?

The 3 screw tuners indicate a lower model.

However the matching headstock usually increased the price by 5,000 yen. Possibly JB50BBR?

Iirc 81 would be 7 digit and 82 brought in the Fender style ser#'s hence L+5 digits and has no dating information. Tjb45 or 50. Painted headstock are circa 84 onwards. You need to look in the cavities and on the pots for more information.

That just shows the values. Date codes are usually on the sides or top face. Have a look at some pot code websites for guidance.

Hi!

Thanks for the answers so far. I am aware of the fact that its a TJB 45 or 50 as for the tuners and the black headstock. I also get that the exact date may be hard to figure out. Mostly wondering because of the combination of spagettilogo and L # serialnumber.

Regards

Pt

mdvineng said:
That just shows the values. Date codes are usually on the sides or top face. Have a look at some pot code websites for guidance.

Ok, thanks. Yes the pot values can not be that informative. Will dig further. 🙂

P

As stated, that serial number system was to be fully in effect by Feb. 1, 1981. The spaghetti logo went up to late 1982 (?) in some markets, but persisted in others from what I understand. Can you share the location of the guitar? That may help as well.

Sigmania said:
As stated, that serial number system was to be fully in effect by Feb. 1, 1981. The spaghetti logo went up to late 1982 (?) in some markets, but persisted in others from what I understand. Can you share the location of the guitar? That may help as well.

Its located in Stockholm Sweden right now. I bougth it from Russia in december 2021.

P

mdvineng said:

No marking at all on the pots exept for the values.

P

Sigmania said:
As stated, that serial number system was to be fully in effect by Feb. 1, 1981. The spaghetti logo went up to late 1982 (?) in some markets, but persisted in others from what I understand.

Iirc 81 would be 7 digit and 82 brought in the Fender style ser#'s hence L+5 digits and has no dating information.
[/quote]

A little bit of a contradition. Was it feb. 81 or 82 that L serialnumber was introduced?

Blue and black wireing does not match the black and white wireing as said was common.

/Pontus

Sorry that was a typo. Feb 1, 1982. It was correct the first time I said it.

Some guitars may have used that system shortly before then I would assume.

Back