Jazz Sound ID?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigmania

Staff member
Reaction score
I figured I would ask for help figuring out which model of Jazz Sound that I have?

Years ago, I had done some checking and based on the serial number, L01xxx, it was believed to be a 1981, but I would like to verify that as well.

Thanks in advance.

vJnODsH.jpg

u6I9kby.jpg

TFXDN4M.jpg

Late 80 and 81 were 7 digit ser#, 82 saw the L+5 ser#'s introduced .
3 screw tuners gives JB50 with most likely an Alder body.

Thank you!

I'm not a bass player, but I do enjoy messing around with them.

I had a 1980 Ibanez MC924 Musician bass that I sold when I got this. I kept this one because it was lighter and the tuners on the Musician have a tendency to fail and are hard to find.

But with the Ibanez I could play some funk bass with it. It was really easy to thump the strings and get "that sound", kind of a Larry Graham/Stanley Clarke thing.

The JS not so much. Maybe it's the action? Pickups? I need to get it out again.

I have a nice Dave Eden amp too to play it through. I think my neighbors want to hear it. :D

EEH1COU.jpg

I can only take that style in small doses. Always reminds of bad drummers sounding like the whole kit had just fallen down the stairs.
But them I'm old :lol:
I'm using these but not sure for how long as I have nodules growing in lefthand palm and they get more painfull as time goes on.
20170625-082508.jpg

20170625-083323.jpg

20150319-175646.jpg

20150410-171454.jpg

It's the EB3 unit, switches pups, capacitors and an induction coil. Love it, feel left out on std setups.

https://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/EB3_schematic.php

mdvineng said:
I can only take that style in small doses. Always reminds of bad drummers sounding like the whole kit had just fallen down the stairs.
But them I'm old :lol:

I’m 55 and my right shoulder gets irritated lately playing. Something about the position. It’s hell getting old.

On bass styles, I grew up in town in Atlanta. I got exposed early on to funk as well as African and Latin rhythms. Part of the culture in many American cities in the mid 70s. The first instrument I played in front of an audience was African drums going to recreation centers in the inner city when I was 11 or 12.

I remember the first skateboard contest I was in they played Flashlight by George Clinton over the PA.

I saw Stanley Clarke many times. Once in a small club in Atlanta called the Moonshadow. Stanley came out into the audience and stood on my table. I think he even drank some beer from my pitcher. I have other stories I won’t bother you with.

It just struck me that not all musicians would be into that music, then I realized how and where I grew up. I didn’t realize how much that affected me. Thanks for that head check. ;)

I like Stanley very much indeed as he doesn't over do the percussion but others just seem to smack the strings into the fretboard without much subtlety.
Slap has also allowed a lot of bad players to look OK, when really all they are doing, is tapping the table to the beat!

I grew up with the British Blues sounds and onwards. Love Latin music and many more but bad slap noooooooo :lol:

Ahhh. Gotcha.

Larry Graham is the bass player from Sly & The Family Stone that invented slap bass back in the 60s. That’s why that video. He talks about why he invented it, losing the drummer in his little trio I believe.

It’s funny, since I started off playing drums, I have a more percussive style at times on the guitar. Especially the acoustic.

Good stuff. Thanks

That’s nuts. Great video.

I saw Stanley play an outdoor show during a solar eclipse. George Duke was on keyboard and he had a whammy bar on it. That was nuts. Genre bending.

Thanks for posting.

Latest posts

Back