Changing pick ups wortwhile? replacing tuners/bridge?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idlebasschrome

Reaction score
Got a ‘84/85 JB45 a couple weeks ago & i have fallen for it. Lol

I only record with it & so far it’s been great... but the output is a tad low. Not unbearable at all, but I’m wondering if putting new pick ups would be a benefit? I already like the tone a lot & don’t want to lose that. Everything’s still original - it’s a 64 copy & a heavy one, but it sounds/plays beautifully - the quality just knocks a lot of the stuff we get today out of the park. If anyone had any experience doing so that’s be great. Would love to try some Nordstrands. Something like the np5 but for jazz if those even exist... fender new noiseless jazz pickups sound cool, too.

Would changing pots help instead? Don’t wanna go too crazy, but may wanna try to do some shielding & do all this at one time.

Also think I have to eventually replace the tuners BC I could see them slipping as time wears on. Also need a new bridge as the original saddles have seen better days.

Glad I made the jump & think im officially a fanboy. Need to find a lefty hard puncher next :/
Thx & be well

Pots never affect the tone, only how much you need to turn them!
Output low = turn up the gain on the amp.
Shielding is a good idea. If the cavity is painted black, it's already shielded.
Tokai pickups are slightly smaller in size, so check any potential replacements carefully.
Tuners will probably outlive you.
New saddles are easily found and replaced.

Ah! Thanks for answering & that’s good to know. Yeah, may just check out the shielding & the bridge..
I do think I’ll stick with the pick ups as I do like the tone.. were their pick up magnets always like uneven or is that an age thing? Meaning like some magnets are up while others are down lol
I don’t think it affects the tone whatsoever. I’ve just never seen it.

Thanks again !

If you mean the pole pieces, they should be all level on the split pick up if yours has them, you adjust the screws to get the height correct to the strings radius. The long single pickup poles should all be level and touching the magnet.

If you need a vintage tone then go for a set of used Lindy Fralin single coil.
If you prefer little bit more bass and treble boost then go for used Fender Original J pickup.
won't cost you too much and these are best for your JB45.

I used to have a 1980 Tokai TJB-65N Jazz Sound that had some type of pickup output issue; it was just one pickup with the problem.
Another musician here in town actually pointed out the issue to me. :lol:
I tried raising the pickup height but that didn't help. The other musician (a bass player) suggested getting new pickups & 86ing the stock pickups.
I ended up lowering the pickup & it actually 'fixed' the output issue, at least to my ears.
The bass player was baffled & so was I.
Lowering the pickup seems counter intuitive but it worked, at least for the issue I had.
I never used a meter to get a resistance reading for the pickups; you may want to try that to see if your pickups have some huge difference in resistance.
Good luck

Back