Unknown Les Paul Reborn on Yahoo Japan

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitar hiro

Tokai Supporter
Reaction score
this Tokai Les Paul Reborn was on Yahoo Japan; bidding ended at 331,000 yen or just a bit under $2,300 USD.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p1067768380

weird thing about this one is it has FEB but it also has a 2 piece body back which those two specs typically are never seen together on vintage Tokia LS.

2 piece back would suggest a LS-60 and the FEB would suggest a LS-80 or higher.

Another MIJ curve ball :lol:

I can't see it with that link. Guess you have to sign in?

HoVs1JO.png

I had a 1983 LS80 with a solid flame top and a two piece back.

I didn't get that much for it when I sold it. :eek:

pCfb4Vu.jpg

VhRBtrr.jpg

ZJvZPas.jpg

1983 specs are known to be somewhat less consistent but within the era of Les Paul Reborn specs have typically been regarded as being much more consistent.

To see a Les Paul Reborn era LS with a 2 piece back and also with FEB is pretty much anomalous to my experience.

Such inconsistency from a 1983 era LS could easily be expected.

As far as price point I believe I touched on that in another thread: price points for unique and exceptional examples will most likely appreciate as we have seen this over the past few years.

Lots of weirdness with the ST100s from 1978-1980 too as I recall. Flame and non flame necks, gold and nickel hardware, etc.

Sigmania said:
Tokai has a history of anomalies from early on in my opinion.

1980, tombstone head stock, "Golden Era" model for example.

Nothing shot of bizarre in my book.

My comments were in the context of LS models; not ST models which I'm sure anomalies also exist within that line.

I understand that anomalies do surface from time to time, no matter the era of production.

The example I cited in the OP is the only LS example from the Les Paul Reborn era that I have seen with both (1) 2 piece back (2) FEB.
There are likely others out there but this example is the only one I have seen.

As far as the LS line during what is considered to be the 'vintage' LS era (pre 1985) it is fairly well known that typical adherence to (previous) specs in general began to deteriorate during 1982. This is when the previous concept of specs seemed to have been thrown out the window.

As far as the example cited in the OP it is interesting to note a few things:
2 piece back and FEB on the same example
decent yet non-original condition
heavily oxidized tail piece and bridge
top is not determined to be solid or veneer
the ending sale price for such an example that has at least a couple of unknowns

I was guessing that it was that solid top. I didn’t think they started using veneers until 1981? But I could be wrong. I have been before. :lol:

I would guess that people are assuming it’s solid. Otherwise that price is insane for a laminate top on a two piece body IMHO.

Latest posts

Back