Vintage Tokai Goldstar Stratocaster 1982 Sonic Blue

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh man... That is beautiful! I am going to grab these pics for the block logo thread.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26253&p=197366#p197366

hgA93BU.jpg

8jHyiv2.jpg

Edo6kvD.jpg

T0NQ4G9.jpg

tyYMQTd.jpg

mjVAxER.jpg

And I don't know which model it would be called...

It has U pickups, so that puts it at the ST50 level, but the "SO" paint job was a 5,000 yen up charge, and the matching head stock was another 5,000 yen.

Maybe ST50+5+5 R.... 8)

It's rare. I would not doubt that it sells at that price.

Here are the colors listed on the Faber site for Springys/Goldstars.

DMoxLQz.jpg

Wonder if the Spring 1982 catalog they photographed comes with the deal?

2ODJvgt.jpg

7s7PjsM.jpg

My scan & translation from that catalog.

1. 1958/1960/1964 MODEL. ° The 1960s was an era when various colors existed. Tokai is also a special color series. From the left, 3 models of '58 / CR, '60 / GM, and '64 / SO.

oi8GI2d.jpg

Makes me wonder what the difference was between the '60 and '64 model in the Tokai line? String tree? V neck? Was the '60 a slab board??? I didn't think so, but why would they call it that? If so, that may be a gold metallic ST75?

Hmmmm. That’s news to me. I thought Springys went into 1983 when it’s thought the block logo appeared. Partway through that year the model name changed to Goldstar Sound. This guitar seems to say Goldstar Sound. Had no idea there was a guitar in there called simply Goldstar. Was that a block logo as well? Or script logo for outside the UK?

ZWly6oU.jpg

vYPh3yE.png

SSDfi22.jpg

As I understand it block logo started out as springys in 82 and then transitioned into block Goldstar Sound sometime in 83 then the logos changed. Edit - as per pics above!

Are you going by the model changing in September theory?

The block logo seems like a rushed change to me, as evidenced by the change again within a year to the script logo.

They seemed to use an old logo that had been used in 1978/79 in the Reborn Old line for advertising.

Sigmania said:
How do you know the block logo started in 1982?

I've seen a sales invoice for a block logo springy dated 82. Guy bought it new. I'll see if I can find it.

Another interesting post in the same thread

bUIJq1I.png

That’s really cool! Could you post that in the block logo gallery as well? Great piece of history and documentation.

Yes, 82 last year of Springs with European block logo and late 82 brought in the very first Goldies.

Strangely all the block logo unpainted headstocks I've seen are springys and all the painted ones are goldies.

Latest posts

Back