ST100?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdvineng

Reaction score
New neck but original included but not shown.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tokai-1980-ST100-/255268189923?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Hmmmm. Not sure what that is. Partscaster?

Anyone seen an ST120?

Hmmmm. Not sure what that is. Partscaster?

It is now :lol:

Not showing the original seems odd considering the emphasis on the model.

The original neck is shown in the YouTube vid linked in the listing, it's damaged.

There’s so much with that thing that seems off.

I have to ask what even is an ST120 ? In the translation HAMAMATSU did of the spring 1982 catalog it says it has a flamed maple neck.

My ST100 has a flamed maple neck. So is an ST100 an ST80 with fancy (gold or nickel) hardware? And then is an ST120 an ST100 with a flamed neck? It’s confusing. Btw, this guitar apparently did not have a flamed neck originally.,...

And the color of that body, trans red, is not something I’ve seen from 1980. And a black pick guard and pickups?

I would like to see pics under the hood showing stamps, etc.

And the neck was replaced.

Again, don’t know what you have there at the end of the day.

Saw most of the video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wT9qKKh2et0&feature=youtu.be

The original neck was red all over. Looked painted though hard to see. No close up of headstock. No numbers.

Still have no idea what this is.

And that bridge is bizarre. Similar to the ones on an SS60 and higher.

ST100s are based on vintage models. This one is not. Body with the PG & black plastic covers looks more like a modern Strat design to me.

Head scratcher.

Seems like an early Limited or custom model rather than what I know of as an ST100.

First guitar built in the new decade?

jHMzjBT.jpg

Guitar with new neck. Abalone fret markers?

hYjmnSB.jpg

Interesting large mass saddles.

rWxw11m.jpg

mLmELIR.jpg

New flamed maple neck with original gold hardware and new decals:

8SXJn5i.jpg

Old neck with rosewood board and red stain or paint all over:

DUa7Adm.jpg

That looks like a Silver Star bridge off an SS 60 or above...

i3l6huv.png

From the eBay listing:

Tokai 1980 ST100.

The st 100 is actually no 1 of 3 a special custom made set..

They are thought to be either st 100 or the fabled st 120.

The original owner had very large hands from the size of the neck..

It includes all the original gold hardware…

It’s sister guitar was acutely on reverb and apparently appeared in a special review in a guitar magazine,

Unfortunately this guitar was stored in a bad location in Japan until I managed to get my hands on it..

I sent it to a fantastic luthier (Eddie Cameron ) in kingsbridge who studied with master luthier Chris Eccleshall..

A long story cut short is that I finally decide to have a modern vintage players guitar neck order made.. And it’s amazing.. the original neck is also included with the guitar..

Full service, pots cleaned and guitar set up and ready to rock..

Here’s a link of what he did and how it plays now.. https://youtu.be/wT9qKKh2et0

This is a guitar that belonged to a Japanese rock star..

Tokai gakki recommend that I order make a new neck.

As this is a very special guitar lost in the records of Tokai, and it would be a shame to just be stripped of parts..

This is a fantastic guitar and truly plays like a dream.. enjoy

In my opinion the seller needs to provide more info to support his claims.

I would want to see:
-pics inside the pickup and control cavities showing codes
-pics of the original neck showing codes and finish
-links to the “sister guitars”
-name of the “Japanese rock star” who owned it
-any other documentation that supports this not being a partscaster

Hi Guys,

Whatever this is - Partsocaster or Custom Build - it is not a Production ST-100 . . period.
I do like the Serial Number but I would thing this also was specifically made for this guitar
as 1980 Production serial numbers would have started with 0000101.
Also serial numbers were generally not sequential when applied to finished guitars.
Body stamps and neck stamps would greatly help in identifying the claims being made by the seller.

regards
Peter Mac

Check out Facebook thread. Someone who owns one of the other ones has posted. Just got this link from the seller.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1051899961518463/permalink/6214776841897390/?sale_post_id=6214776841897390

Sellers response:

Possible Rock star is unnamed ,, there were only 3 made that are known of to be these specs..

check the comments of Pete Reid in this post he is the owner of no3…

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1051899961518463/permalink/6214776841897390/?sale_post_id=6214776841897390

It’s custom made so no markings on the neck, color is order made.
I will check my old photos for any cavity picks …

Sen ash body

I am proxy selling for my uncle who lives in Japan so it can take some time for questions to be answered.

Back