Natural Finish Goldstar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATO

Reaction score
Neck is Tokai, but the body does not look correct?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tokai-Goldstar-Sound-50s-Stratocaster-1984-made-in-Japan-natural-ash-finish-/203697709356?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

Interesting. The body looks like ash? And it is 3 piece with no stamps inside the control cavity.

It also does not have the brass ground plate for the wiring.

Could it be an ST below the 50 if it were a Tokai? I think the model was ST42? Not sure.

Pretty though. 8)

vrmJFCQ.jpg

sXpH9xH.jpg

36R467g.jpg

WIneQJa.jpg

cEUKaE0.jpg

eJF2XKx.jpg

Routed for HSS? I am thinking not Tokai body or even wiring. Probably just the neck is Tokai.

As a note, Tokai Japan was very good at matching grains. I'm not sure that they would send a guitar out the door that was not matched up better than this one is? I could be wrong, but seems like they were pretty careful about hiding joints as best as possible.

Sigmania said:
Interesting. The body looks like ash? And it is 3 piece with no stamps inside the control cavity.

It also does not have the brass ground plate for the wiring.

Could it be an ST below the 50 if it were a Tokai? I think the model was ST42? Not sure.

Pretty though. 8)

A favourite guitar of mine is an 1984 ST45 Goldie and the body is just like the 50s with a stamp. They just had ceramic PUPs , poor quality tuners, pots etc. They didn't have the brass ground plates. I've completely replaced all electrics, PUPs and tuners and it is my first choice gig guitar.
Don't think this one on eBay has a tokai body. It does look very much like my dinner table though!

Yep. I thought that St4x model did not have the brass ground plate.

The pickup routes give this body away as not Tokai in my opinion.

Weird. Looks like Tokai saddles, so likely Tokai Bridge.

I still say partscaster because of the body routes and lack of stamps.

It also looks like that the neck butt has been shaved to fit the body cavity . The pickups are not Tokai either.

Can anyone see the serial number?

Looks like more than 5 digits.. and it has a maple fretboard.

Partscaster.

bluejeannot said:
No De Luxe stamp on the machine head covers either.

An ST42/45 would have had the cheap trapezoid shaped tuners anyway, not Kluson style.

16mE6t7.jpg
I have seen 3 piece Matsumoku made sen ash bodies on both Aria Pro 11 strats and Kimbaras like this one but they usually had a narrow neck plates.

The guitar under discussion is very clearly Sen ash not swamp ash. Sen ash is not even a true ash its actually related to the ivy plant! "Sen is often confused with another Japanese export, Japanese ash, also known as tamo. In some areas, Japanese ash and sen are used as trade names for the same species; however, Japanese ash (tamo) is from the species Fraxinus mandschurica of the Family Oleaceae, while sen is from the species Acanthopanax ricinifolius of the Family Araliaceae."

So if it’s sen, then the body likely came from Japan.

Still looks like a partscaster no matter where it came from.

The seller should probably adjust the listing in my opinion.

Check this out.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=18501

Bizarre.... Another Tokai mystery then. Great job finding that old thread!

This may be in the period of reorganization where all sorts of things happened? Or may be from later as that other thread suggest?

6 digit serial?

Latest posts

Back