2016 Reborn Old Open Book

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigmania

Staff member
Reaction score
So what exactly is the story with this newer Reborn Old line?

This one has an open book headstock and says was a special order for an employee or something?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tokai-LS-...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

The ones I’ve seen seem to date from the mid 2010s.

I thought they were just made for the German market but obviously this one wasn’t.

Does anyone know what the story is with these?

Oh, and I thought VVF stood for violin finish? And the fretboard looks more like ebony than Jacaranda? 8)

I believe that is one of a few shop orders by Rock Inn, from 2016; they had the Reborn logo & Jacaranda fingerboards

pretty sure at least two TF members have examples :wink:

Here is one example…. Rockin version had Brazilian fretboards and fret end bindings

https://www.flickr.com/gp/147832065@N08/99J022

So weird. Cliff, your guitar looks like a VVF. The op looks like cherry sunburst or whatever Tokai calls that.

Beautiful guitars.

Also, both fretboards are very dark and I don't see any figuring as I would expect on Jacaranda or Braz.

Also, interesting to see how they routed for the fretboard markers. Each corner was cut out beyond the outline of the trapezoid marker and then filled.

lY5TeDv.png

SfBkGCp.png

there are plenty of old school Brazilian fret boards that have no figuring, and/or color variation.

AFA the sloppy inlay work, I have a 2000 LS-320 that has the same crap filled points :evil:

Tokai has been producing this very same, lame, sub-par inlay work, for many years :roll:

Seems weird. They were pioneers using CNC machines on guitars to make tight fitting joints, so obviously they can fit them better. Wonder what the reasoning is?

CNC is only as good as the person that is programming it, and also, the person that is operating it.

I have run CNC before, for metal, not for lumber, and it takes attention to detail to make parts consistently in spec, run after run.

Since Tokai has been producing the crap inlay corners for the better part of two decades, I can only assume Tokai really does not give a rat's *** about their inlay work quality.

Try doing that in a machine shop for a full shift & someone's butt will be fired. Tokai has been at this for nearly two decades. No pride in workmanship.

And Tokai's (set) neck tenons are no where near the tightest neck tenons among the MIJ makers.

It is weird though. Seems intentional. I’m just wondering what the intention is? It’s not like the wood expands much.

I believe the logos on the headstock are inlays. Those I believe are tight. I’ll have to look.

Maybe they are contracting out the fretboards?? Weird.

Back