Tokai “The Strat” ST70

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe this is the guitar that set off Fender? The use of the word “Strat”?

At any rate, interesting guitar.

I can’t tell with these pictures what the wood is? It looks like it’s covered with paint or a mahogany stain? Hard to tell.

Not convinced that is a genuine Tokai.
The decal doesn't look quite right and the shape of the headstock is unlike any other of the 79<82 period. The shape of the contour just above the Nut isn't typical Tokai either. They are mostly concave with the odd convex one but this one is straight across!

ST70 first appered in 82.

Fender USA took offence in 81 when the first exports from Tokai arrived but the decal with the Strat reference had been in place since years before.

It could of been a small run for the local market but too many things are off beam for me at this point.

the Scahller tuners are like the Silver Star ones and the ser number under the Tokai decal is also Silver Star in style.

I have no idea. Would be a weird one to fake. Especially at that price. I was tempted.

The gold Tokai knobs would be hard to fake I would think?

Agreed, must be a local thing then. not in any catalogues or much else. The second one is slightly different again in no ser number this time. It does have the Springy routing though.

Do you know what this color might be? Looks like a stain but hard to see any wood grain. Seems like a weird color if it’s paint.

Sigmania said:
Do you know what this color might be? Looks like a stain but hard to see any wood grain. Seems like a weird color if it’s paint.

It looks very much like the back of my VSB80, it's a Lquer finish translucent. you can just about make out the wood grain with your eye but it doesn't come out too well in a picture. Here are a coiuple of old pictures of mine.
20170622-173929.jpg

20170622-174029.jpg

headstock with a decal to suit Fender, applied at the factory over what originally had a 7 decal, as in the right light and angle you can see the impression of the 7 in the laquer.
20170625-083323.jpg

the front face in Translucent Orange laquer
20170625-082801.jpg

I wonder what color that finish on the original post would be called?

DMoxLQz.jpg

Latest posts

Back