Silver Star Flame Maple Neck SS60

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigmania

Staff member
Reaction score
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tokai-81g...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

1uI9Y0G.jpg

Y1Yw8u0.jpg

vbPVpLb.jpg

K9iqbp9.jpg

auFi7vB.jpg

E2HxoqI.jpg

kIBoYFI.jpg

3uMHEUx.jpg

rr0heZl.jpg

5GuUgRB.jpg

sVZj1U1.jpg

mdvineng said:
Think I would want 3 for that price?

My thoughts as well, but I liked the neck.

And soooo clean! Closet queen. 8)

Guessing there weren't many made, but I don't know. I have seen mostly rosewood fret boards on Silver Stars, and skunk stripes on the maple versions, but I have not been paying attention. Now I will. 8)

Just checked in Peter's book and all SS necks are laminated and with skunks, except the 66 style which was skunkless.

Hmmmm. Clearly this one has a “60” sticker.

So it’s either an exception to the “rules” or the sticker is wrong.

Maybe this will get edited in the next edition? :wink:

Btw, there is a “skunkless” SS65 in the thread I started titled Silver Star gallery. It has a natural finish.

By “66 style” do you mean 1966 style, no bullet adjustment and four bolt attachment on the CBS style neck?

Q1hKrjg.jpg

AFA price point; the market will determine that, which it did :wink: Someone was willing to pay for something they wanted; period.

When I used to frequent the GSWGS back in the 1980s people were freaking out when bursts were selling for $4K to $8K, depending on condition.
Big deal.

AFA the actual example in the OP: I have never seen a single one. It is quite stunning, and on multiple levels. 8)
I'm glad the buyer found something so rare, and in such condition. What a **** find, IMO.

guitar hiro said:
AFA price point; the market will determine that, which it did :wink: Someone was willing to pay for something they wanted; period.

When I used to frequent the GSWGS back in the 1980s people were freaking out when bursts were selling for $4K to $8K, depending on condition.
Big deal.

AFA the actual example in the OP: I have never seen a single one. It is quite stunning, and on multiple levels. 8)
I'm glad the buyer found something so rare, and in such condition. What a **** find, IMO.

Yeah no kidding.... Kicking myself. Someone got a very sweet guitar. Maybe it will show up here one day?

Sigmania said:
guitar hiro said:

Big deal.

Yeah no kidding.... Kicking myself. Someone got a very sweet guitar. Maybe it will show up here one day?

from viewing your siggy it looks as if you may be a Tokai collector, of sorts.

That SS60 would have been one Hell of an addition.

I agree... There is sort of an attitude that the CBS era Fenders are crap. I have had that attitude myself in the past.

But when my brother passed I got his CBS era 1978/79 Fender Stratocaster with the big head, one piece ash body, hard tail, three bolt neck, and a maple fret board. That guitar sings. Completely stock.

blSqWLh.jpg

I need to rethink things and maybe start looking at SIlver Stars.... But don't tell anyone. 8)

It's all pretty mysterious to me as to what creates a resonant, sustaining guitar.

People argue that it's about having a single piece of wood from stem to stern (thru neck). I have had those.

Yamaha SG3000s. Had 3 of them. Pickups with surgical steel posts, etc...

bYLjqr9.jpg

Thru neck Ibanez Musicians. Had many.

But I have an ST100 with a bolt neck and a brass shim that sings like crazy. Same with that Fender, 3 bolt neck.

Seems to be a crap shoot at some point. I have learned to go for the one that speaks to me. That guitar in the OP was doing that. Should have...

Oh well, live and learn.

Sliver star bodies and necks are virtually the same as springy/goldstars all made from the same blanks and benefited from better QC which the Fender CBS didn't, so some Fender CBS will be great and some less so, is how I interpret it!

Sigmania said:
I agree... There is sort of an attitude that the CBS era Fenders are crap. I have had that attitude myself in the past.

But when my brother passed I got his CBS era 1978/79 Fender Stratocaster with the big head, one piece ash body, hard tail, three bolt neck, and a maple fret board. That guitar sings. Completely stock.

For my 20th birthday I purchased the first Strat I ever owned.
I figured, hey, it's my 20th B-Day & I had never got something for myself for any birthday.
I purchased a brand new Fender USA S9 serial # series three bolt neck Strat.
It took 6 months to get used to it, as I had been playing Gibsons & Gibson style guitars previously.
I finally got used to the 'new' Strat, which began (for me) a 20 year period of playing Strats exclusively.
My S9 Strat had a 3 piece body, was quite heavy, and compared to over 150 Strats I have owned over the past ~40 years, I would say the S9 Strat was in the lower level of the Strats I preferred. That is a pretty sad statistic for that particular guitar, and hopefully not a broader representation of Strats from the era. I can say, I never even considered the purchase of another USA Strat from that era so, that alone does not speak very well (generally) for them, IMO.
I eventually discovered there are plenty of MIJ produced Strats, from many different makers, that will put 'Fender' Strats to shame, and for far le$$ money.
Even in early/mid 2000s, I gave Fender USA another shot with Strats: I purcahsed 3 EJ Strats, a Jeff Beck Strat, a '62 reissue, and I was not at all impressed. Those were all NEW guitars & they didn't last long. I sold every single one.
That was my final time to offer Fender any opportunity to gain my $$$$ for any guitar out there for sale. Bye bye Fender. Not impressed.
I eventually parted out my very first (S9) Strat, and sold most of the bits, I parted out EJ00095 (one of the first 100) and kept the complete pickup assembly, I sold the other two EJs intact, and sold both the '62 reissue & the Jeff Beck.

If I ever desire a good, quality Strat, I know where to look, and it aint for a USA made Strat. 8)

LOL. What do you really think? :lol:

I feel the same. I wouldn't buy a modern Fender either. This was something I inherited from him when he passed away.

I bought a new Strat in 1988. I traded a 60s Fender Mustang for it and some cash and got a Fender red knob solid state amp.

xSfBXri.jpg

I played it for years until I bought a 1983 Fullerton American Vintage Strat off eBay. Then a Gibson R9.

Aa4MySB.jpg

Then lots of different vintage MIJ guitars in my quest for sustain.

Ibanez AR500s

aOcZrMu.jpg

Yamaha SBG3000s

MMfRq6J.jpg

I even had a Fender AVRI Strat from the Corona plant made with leftover Fullerton parts apparently

6r3iqEY.jpg

and a Fender Custom Shop set neck in there with noiseless pickups. Best of both worlds right? Meh..

7Eim0pw.jpg

I stopped at Tokai. My first one was an LS80 sycamore flame top from 1985, then a 1979LS80 GT, then ...

I kept that solid state amp for too long and had no idea what some of these guitars could actually do. Idiot.

I eventually got a Rivera Chubster 40w and put a vintage EV speaker in it and ditched the "red knob". Then I understood what a guitar could really sound like.

Then it just got worse..... LOL

Latest posts

Back