1981 LC100 BB

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigmania

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe this is one of several brokers listing this guitar. This one is listing it as “Junk” and asking $2,500. It has an unfortunate neck break and less than perfect repair.

I wanted to link it because these LC100s don’t seem super common. I’m guessing less of the Customs were made than Love Rocks? I’m not sure, but I think I’ve read that on here.

Just wanted to document when an LC100 pops up.

This one is apparently a 1981 guitar. Serial number 1011946.

Gibson style logo. Ebony fretboard.

*JUNK* 1980s? TOKAI LC100? MIJ Vintage Les Paul Custom Diamond Heastock Inlay | eBay

Attachments

• s-l1600-1.jpg
    s-l1600-1.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600-2.jpg
    s-l1600-2.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600-3.jpg
    s-l1600-3.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600-4.jpg
    s-l1600-4.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600-5.jpg
    s-l1600-5.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600-6.jpg
    s-l1600-6.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600-7.jpg
    s-l1600-7.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600-8.jpg
    s-l1600-8.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600-9.jpg
    s-l1600-9.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The vintage market is close to a stupid place sometimes yes.
And his guitar is really not worth 2'500 bucks. Some Chad needs to get off his opioid medication.
I have a guitar that is two years later as this one, it was heavily used in the past and had some marks everywhere, but nothing cracked and mostly original. Paid 1'200 bucks for it and it would still be a debate if it was a correct price, but the macassar ebony and the nitro finish where definitely good indicators that this guitar was higher tier in her time.

Harima_San said:
The vintage market is close to a stupid place sometimes yes.
And his guitar is really not worth 2'500 bucks. Some Chad needs to get off his opioid medication.
I have a guitar that is two years later as this one, it was heavily used in the past and had some marks everywhere, but nothing cracked and mostly original. Paid 1'200 bucks for it and it would still be a debate if it was a correct price, but the macassar ebony and the nitro finish where definitely good indicators that this guitar was higher tier in her time.

I recall back in the 1980s when I resided in the DFW area & we used to frequent the GSWGS; most folks then believed that paying $3K to $5K for a 'burst' was completely crazy nutz.
What will happen with Tokai examples going forward? Will vintage Tokai follow the same path?

Good point. Wish I could time travel and bring some things back with me.

I’m curious if your LC100 is possibly a one piece body? There is an older thread indicating at least some of them might be? Hard to tell with painted guitars. Just was curious about yours.

@Sigmania. Don't know, difficult to say. I was able to copy/paste a part of the original japanese desciption, but the quality is horrendous.
tokai-lc110bb-272368.png

What will happen with Tokai examples going forward? Will vintage Tokai follow the same path?
This I can answer. They will gain in value. Just the devaluation of money, and the fact that good quality wooden guitars are becoming more rare. But we must stay reasonnable. Some of the Tokai's are top tier instruments, collectible unicorns with extreme quality materials and craftmanship, unmatched at Gibson. Some other, like the 100, are good ones, with some compromises to bring down the price. They definitely are good, but 3'000 bucks good ? At this moment, we can buy a new premium one and put Amber pickups on her and the case is closed. What I'm trying to say is, that the price crazyness for some builders can be explained by a quality you will never see again. At Tokai, I'm not sure this rules apply, because the 00-2010 instruments I have touched and have experience with, where remarquable.

Nice. Let me know if you want to sell yours. 8)
It will not happen but thanks for the offer. :wink: I will continue the tradition that my mentor has passed down to me. The older artist will support the young one.

I agree re: the $3,000 assessment. $1,500-2,000 is more like it depending on condition.

For value I look at opportunity cost, or what other guitars I could get with the same money. Just like it sounds like you do. Would love to get my paws on one of the newer Tokais you mentioned.

I’m a buyer for an LC-110 from 1979-81. There are basically zero of these around. I have only seen (1) 1979 LC-110 with the split diamond inlay, and I would gladly pay more.

I’m a buyer for an 1979 LC-100.
No broken necks, please, and price paid based on condition and originality.

I have all of the above but they are so rare I’ll take more…. 🍺🍺

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147832065@N08/albums

Nice LC100s Cliff. Can you tell by looking at the WR one if it is all one piece?

Latest posts

Back