Is this Goldstar Sound a good purchase for $600?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WokaiTokai

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a chance to buy this Goldstar Sound for €500 (that's almost $600 US dollars). Does it look genuine mid-1980s and, assuming everything is original and in good order, as claimed, do you think that's a reasonable price? (Never mind that it's marked as "Withdrawn", I've been in contact with the seller and they still have it and are willing to sell.)

https://www.adverts.ie/electric-guitars/tokai-goldstar-sound-strat/23700812

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Wokai

Have you played it? Guitar values are largely emotional I think.

The previous post was pointing out that this is a lower end model (multi piece body, lower end hardware, finish, etc.) during the years with the non Fender style head stock, so they typically sell for less and are in less demand.

Prices can be all over. Collectors tend to go for the higher end stuff and wait til what they are looking for comes along.

But I have known people that have had these and love them. That's a cool color too in my opinion.

As for value, what else can you get at that price? That's how I figure value. It's personal.

You can get on Reverb and check prices for similar guitars often times and see what others think things are worth.

Good luck.

And just as an insight, I have never asked anyone else for the value of a guitar that I wanted to buy.

My fear was always that if someone else knew about it that they might get it before I did.

So if I was confident someone else would not get it then either:

1. I probably didn’t care that much about it, or

2. I thought the price was unreasonable and no one else would pay that.

Something to consider.

Maybe you aren’t that interested, in which case I would pass.

If you approach guitars as though they are simply an investment and you’re not willing to take a hit then there are safer investments.

If I ever lose money selling a guitar relative to what I paid I just consider the difference the price of renting it. So it’s not a loss.

Hope that’s helpful.

Back