1981 LS120 Top Separation

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigmania

Staff member
Reaction score
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-TOKA...-/174750761582?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

eCAT3Tj.jpg

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but this guitar has been on eBay for a long time. The price is crazy and I can’t imagine it ever selling for anything close to that.

I had a 1981 LS120 with a similar separation/shrinkage of the veneer top. I sold mine in the states years ago. I hated selling it because it sounded amazing but the separation drove me crazy and I couldn’t repair it.

If I’m not mistaken this same seller had listed another love rock in the past with one photo and a burl top. When I asked about that guitar he never bothered to respond.

Just wondering if there’s something I’m missing?

That one keeps on appearing, waiting for the one idiot.

If your guitar sounded great, ignore the split.

You ask, "Just wondering if there’s something I’m missing?"

Nope, you're not missing a **** thing.
You spotted a problem instrument, you spotted a seller that refuses to reply to a potential buyer, and both of those issues are IMO not worth your time. :wink:

When I sale instruments I go through more information exchange than I do actual selling.
Case in point: I recently had a potential buyer ask some detailed questions about frets on a guitar.
I took a lot of photos, sent him the photos, and explained in detail my opinion of the frets.
He passed on a purchase but that's OK.
I want any potential buyer to end up being a buyer that ends up with an instrument they actually want.
There are so many sellers out there that are interested in only the opposite; just making a sale.
Those are the *** holes you want to avoid.

Agreed. I'm the same way. And I definitely don't want to pay the shipping on the way back and potentially have the guitar lost or damaged on the way.

I was very clear with the seller I sold the LS120 re the separation.

I had bought it through Yahoo in Japan and at the time I was hoping it was a solid top. I posted on this forum, and with members' help realized it was a veneer. So the top was stable, and it was completely an aesthetic thing.

Honestly, my thought was that somehow this guy had gotten my old guitar and stripped it out for parts and was parading it on eBay which made me feel sick when I first had that thought.

I just checked my old photos and confirmed that this is not my old guitar... Whew...

Latest posts

Back