Les Paul Reborn & Refinished?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks like a 3 piece top & the back looks like it is also a 3 piece so, seems to have the specs for a LS-50.

$2168 USD for a refinished LS-50 seems a bit rich but then hey :lol:

the extra 6 plugged holes in the maple top are just a bonus :lol: :lol:

"Straight from the factory in Hamamatsu, Japan" as he says in the listing. With 6 holes in a top that was obviously refinished... :lol:

Sigmania said:
"Straight from the factory in Hamamatsu, Japan" as he says in the listing. With 6 holes in a top that was obviously refinished... :lol:

I can confirm that this did indeed come straight from the factory to the seller exactly as you see it listed. Whatever refinish/drilling happened on the top was done in the Hamamatsu factory by Tokai. As it says in the listing: This includes prototypes, one-off builds and old models that have lived in the factory for many years until being uncovered by one of our business partners.

So are you saying that they kept an LS50 with a drilled and refinished top for over 40 years in a factory that churned out thousands of new guitars over that time? That makes no sense.

The way the listing is written intimates that it’s possibly some rare guitar or a prototype from the Tokai factory.

For the record, it looks like the lowest end production LP they made with drilled and filled holes in a top that was refinished….

No matter what, the damage wasn’t disclosed in the listing no matter where it came from.

Are you the seller?

Preserving the pictures so we can sort out what this is and why a 40 plus year old guitar with repairs may have been kept at the factory.

IVjU3Bf.jpg

cPyYC3d.jpg

5y8V9mO.jpg

Dvfnmmt.jpg

IeiB3Sl.jpg

jBLpKDV.jpg

9pp5sDD.jpg

Ar50Zu7.jpg

s4JMa0N.jpg

And whoever sanded this top did not even bother to remove the hardware.

GquUL98.png

5jbrL7D.png

This struck me as really odd.. Two different era badges on the case.

n1LpzJZ.jpg

Unmarked single ring tuners look day glo.

jBLpKDV.jpg

Cloudy finish on the headstock.

IeiB3Sl.jpg

tokaiaustralia said:
I can confirm that this did indeed come straight from the factory to the seller exactly as you see it listed. Whatever refinish/drilling happened on the top was done in the Hamamatsu factory by Tokai.

Can you say a little more about this?

I think more explanation is needed as to where this thing actually came from and what the backstory is.

tokaiaustralia said:
I can confirm that this did indeed come straight from the factory to the seller exactly as you see it listed. Whatever refinish/drilling happened on the top was done in the Hamamatsu factory by Tokai.

Sigmania said:
tokaiaustralia said:

I think more explanation is needed as to where this thing actually came from and what the backstory is.

The factory had hundreds and hundreds of things like this sitting around.

Then the new owners purchased the company late last year they went through boxes and boxes of them to clear out space and make some room. There will be loads of things like this hitting the international market (Reverb/eBay) over the next few months.

I have a 1979 Les paul Reborn LS100 that had a few toggle switch holes filled and refinished top in some sort of lemon burst.
The seller told me more than once that it was all done at the factory, but I didn't think it true.
The top is excellent but the hole fill wasn't a very good match.

Latest posts

Back