What Is This?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigmania

Staff member
Reaction score
Maple board. Two butterfly string trees. Weird MIJ sticker. Bridge saddles not stamped metal. 5 digit serial. Deluxe tuners.

Seller claiming it is a Goldstar with a Springy sticker.

With that serial I think it is supposed to be an ST50 or 60? But the 2 butterfly string trees, etc. threw me.

Anyone?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-T...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

zNtOsSw.jpg

odYCo8H.jpg

VfBCeA9.jpg

0QaOtUD.jpg

brg9Lef.png

O1qimdu.jpg

su44PU0.png

This is a genuine ST50, the seller has added more photos.
It's just got an extra string tree and a breezysound decal.
The MIJ sticker is standard on these UK tokais

2 trees were used on some Silverstars.

Goldstars only appeared in 1983!

Last of the Springysounds had 5 digit ser for 58<63 replicas. So we have an ST50 with 2 trees.

Those saddles are crap. I don’t think they put those molded saddles on ST50s? They are normally stamped steel.

But the tuners are Kluson type. Very odd.

brg9Lef.png

The saddles and extra string tree are weird.

Similar MIJ sticker.

Serial numbers are both 5 digits, but different. Red one looks impressed (though hard to see) and the blue one looks etched or laser cut?

Different walnut plug shapes.

ATO said:
This is a genuine ST50, the seller has added more photos.

These look like the same pictures. Are you seeing any under the hood? That would tell us a lot.

So do we think this guitar is from the period around 1983/84?

I have to believe that someone added a string tree for some reason.

The saddle thing may have been a goof up or maybe someone changed out the trem unit?

Reversible except for the weird string tree thing.

82/83 would be the zinc alloy block. Wonder if that’s why the bridge was possibly switched?

In Peter's book the trem blocks are steel for all 3 versions of strat. Headstock changed in 83 for the American friendly shape.

Serial puts it at roughly 82? The 2nd spring tree appears to have a slightly larger screw than the other one which makes me think it's not come from the factory like that. Seller confirms saddles have been 'upgraded' by the previous owner. Looks like a standard ST50 springy to me, possibly block logo.

Latest posts

Back