I just purchased an OBG Les Paul Standard

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeo828

Reaction score
So as the title says I just purchased an Orville By Gibson Standard.

I did research and these are suppose to have nitro finish. Is that right? I expect a guitar just as good as a Gibson standard from that time. It has the original 57 classics in it.

For what I payed for it, Gibson doesn't make a model that looks anywhere near to this. I'm always underwhelmed by Gibson standards, not their Historics however..... those are amazing.

So it was either this guitar or an ugly Gibson Studio..... sure with extra money I could have gotten a Standard but as I said they never inspire me for the money. For the money I'll rather have this guitar.

I also want to add that I looked for many Gibson Les Paul Standards, either at guitar center, ebay, or reverb.com and I've found that people are so overpricing these Gibson standards. I saw a guy asking $2000 for a plain jane ebony lp gibson standard. I don't think I saw one at at least $1500. I don't think most of these standards are worth more than $1500. I've had several over the years, and never paid over $1500, which is hard to find and takes a great deal of patience to wait for one. The prices I see do not match my desire for one.
So I thought screw it, this gives me everything a standard will give me and it actually has the pickups I like.

Here is a link to the pic:

http://imgur.com/fdeKSYL,0Z7lZmt,Nj0oJSl,WHC3eod,RVs5CSN,NldpJuw,POy3hXU,anJeYEA,TwPFpO8,Oi6lRxG,zkpg6xJ

Thanks!!! Sure hope so.

I had a Tokai Reborn from 1978 with burstbuckers 1 and 2 and it was amazing. I sold it cause I wanted a Gibson, what a mistake. The Gibson standard I bought felt so anemic after awhile compared to that old Tokai. I'm starting to believe that the magic these days with Gibson is the custom shop. I admit those guitars are wonderful as I played some. They are worth the money if you have it to spare.

I'm not saying this OBG will be like the Tokai, but for what I paid for it I'm comfortable if it's like a Gibson Standard, which are good, just not $1500 plus good.

Thanks!

I'm a little nervous because I now read that some OBG were not nitro and that the inlays can come off as well. I hope that's not the case here.

I've one of the 95 ObG 57B 'reissues' don't think it's nitro but it's certainly a thin finish, I stripped a 1991 ObG custom too and that was thin but certainly not nitro.

The finish has a nice feel to it though and certainly not plasticy like some MIJ's feel, I think the inlay issue was with some of the earlier Terada made Orvilles/ObG's don't think I've seen it happen to a reissue so you should be fine. Only thing that let's down my ObG 57B is the fact they used cheap plastic inlays otherwise it's hard to fault.

That's kinda disappointing to hear since all my research told me that OBG were Nitro and the Orvilles were Poly.

Yep there does seem to be a lot of conflicting info around about the Orvilles, probably from when people decide to sell them :)

I can only go from the ObG's I've had but none have gone gummy in acetone and even one of the weaker paint strippers didn't do anything on the one I stripped. I think people get confused when the Japanese use the term lacquer to define the finish and many assume that's nitro-cellulose rather than one of the many various types of lacquer out there.

I'm sure the Japanese did use nitro on some MIJ's though so I guess you'll find out soon enough if they used nitro on the 1993 Terada's, easy enough to swab a little acetone (nail varnish remover is fine) on a q-tip in the cavities to see if it dissolves the finish. Keep us informed if you do test cos it'd be good to get actual info rather than the rumours that seem to float around the web.

Here's a link to another ObG reissue where the finish is clearly poly http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-single-cuts/321329-mij__-buy-now-__deal-day-38.html#post7224494

Thanks for the info.

But I returned the guitar anyhow. The bridge and middle position were not working. I'm glad because the thing was an anchor as well.

Back