Stone Logo Thru Neck

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigmania

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not aware of Tokai making thru necks, so I guess not all stone logo guitars were made by Tokai?

$999

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124574341...b_vTl8uRJe&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

dAppDuX.jpg

JEsKV3l.jpg

dBLBoYs.jpg

01IgIQY.jpg

pYSYWpx.jpg

K2qi8j5.jpg

vKAxQOS.jpg

As far as I know, the consensus in the Fernandes/Burny camp is that only two FST models were Tokai-made: FST-60 (ST) and FST-50 (SS) and probably only in 1978.

I've had an early '78 FST-60 that was certainly Tokai all the way. Other models (and there were like 5-6 Strats at the time, I think) appear to be Kawai-made, some obviously, others less so. What these through-necks are I've no idea. Then again, Fernandes/Burny always played the field in terms of OEM manufacturers, often using several at the same time for different ranges. Could be something like Chushin Gakki/Matsumoto Union, there are Fresher-branded through-neck Strats from about the same time. Just speculation, though.

I was able to check and play a FST-60 1978 and it had a Tokai heavy body 2 pieces. Great sounding guitar.
Tokai Goto pickups. But not so sure neck was a Tokai, maybe it was. Stone logo turners.
The guitar was brougth to Spain from Japan from a friend.

Here's a Chushin-made Fresher through-neck, an FS-606, year unknown beyond "80's". Generally similar but no definite detail commonalities that I can see.

90woJq3.jpg

npbqpyO.jpg

Thanks for the clarification.

That’s a really cool guitar. Both of them are.

I’ve had quite a few Ibanez and Yamaha thru necks.

Have to admit that I love the concept and craftsmanship of them.

Very cool beasts. 8)

EhwQWCK.jpg

mXXsEfV.jpg

80TKyGr.jpg

NkYutKV.jpg

XPHk3RY.jpg

Btw, how would you tell when a guitar was made if there is no obvious serial number on these? There’s no neck plate and it’s not on the headstock.

I guess maybe pot codes or there could be a serial number in one of the compartments?

Sigmania said:
Btw, how would you tell when a guitar was made if there is no obvious serial number on these? There’s no neck plate and it’s not on the headstock.

I guess maybe pot codes or there could be a serial number in one of the compartments?

You mean the Fernandes Alembics? They're in the 1980 and '81 catalogs only, so there your ballpark time; late '79 to mid-late '81 or so.

http://brochures.yokochou.com/guitar-and-amp/fernandes/1980/en_10.html

Otherwise, I don't know, I've never even been in the same room as one of those. But date-coded pots is a possibility, and they may even have a plaintext date in the neck pickup rout or somewhere else inside. Or, It might just not be possible to date them more precisely than the catalog years. Fernandes worked with so many manufacturers (god knows who made these...) that you kind of wonder if they even bothered trying to keep a consistent serial system going.
Their QA staff must have been ninjas, though. I've played and/or owned Burny LP copies made from 1983 to '94 by three different manufacturers, and they're so consistent in feel and quality it's kind of hard to believe. The tone varies some with different pup types over the years, though.

Thanks. I meant the Strat type Thru neck in the original post.

The Alembic at that music fair was from 1985 if you can believe it. Article is linked above.

This guy is suggesting that the thru neck Fernandes Strats were made by Matsumoku.

FERNANDES STRATOCASTER NECKTHROUGH GUITAR

This is a 1978 Fernandes neck-through stratocaster made at the famous Matsumoku Factory Japan. Its an artist model made for a Japanese artist and manufactured in very few numbers. The Matsumoku made versions of this model are seldom seen yet highly collectible and identified by the rear control cavity shape and a number of other indicators.

Attachments

• fernandes-neck-through-guitar-000.jpg
    fernandes-neck-through-guitar-000.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 0
  • fernandes-neck-through-guitar-01.jpg
    fernandes-neck-through-guitar-01.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 0
  • fernandes-neck-through-guitar-02.jpg
    fernandes-neck-through-guitar-02.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 0
  • fernandes-neck-through-guitar-03.jpg
    fernandes-neck-through-guitar-03.jpg