Burny FLG-150 <> Solid top, or Veneer?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitar hiro

Tokai Supporter
Reaction score
I have often wondered why owners & sellers alike claim their FLG-150 model has a 'solid' top.
I recently contacted a FLG owner & told him the photo of the top demonstrates a veneer top, although the owner claims it is a 'solid' top.

I located another FLG-150 on YJ and a photo clearly demonstrates a 'veneer' top, even though the seller claims the FLG has a 'solid' top.
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w304383343
The wall of the pickup route demonstrates none of the flame characteristic of the top, in the listings' fourth photo .
I wonder what is going on with folks; are they crazy, do they believe potential buyers are stupid, or what?

If you are ever looking at the potential purchase of any 'flame top' LP type & the seller claims it is a 'solid' top, always ask for the required photos that demonstrate the seller's claim.
It is called DYODD aka cover your ***. :lol:

I also get a kick out of how many times I have seen those FLGs 90's and 150s listed as being refretted. They didn't come with fret edge binding originally but sellers don't seem to know that.

wulfman said:
I also get a kick out of how many times I have seen those FLGs 90's and 150s listed as being refretted. They didn't come with fret edge binding originally but sellers don't seem to know that.

I recently contacted a Reverb seller about some documentation concerning a guitar he had listed for sale. The guitar had no serial number even though the model being offered included a serial number on all examples. The example included no 'spec sheet' although each example originally had a spec sheet. The (visual) flame feature of the top did not translate into the side wall of the pickup route in the seller's listed photo. That is three huge red flags, for me. I asked the seller about all the items & the seller just freaked the fvck out. :lol:
Afterward the seller posted a photo to the listing showing the flame feature of the top, on the under side of the top, in the control route. I was thinking to myself, why in Hell didn't that dumb *** post that photo when he put the listing up? :lol:
Some times I am amazed by sellers & typically not in a good way. :p

While you guys are waiting for a 150 to come along... here's my mid 80's RLG 90 with solid top... right :D

3KBcap.jpg

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w304383343

wow, $2,800 USD for that FLG-150; the price of veneer tops are going to da moon. :lol:

Thanks, I did see the two yahoo_One was clearly a veneer and the other auction ended before I could bid.The second appeared to have paperwork showing that it was a 150

Blackout2112 said:
Thanks, I did see the two yahoo_One was clearly a veneer and the other auction ended before I could bid.The second appeared to have paperwork showing that it was a 150

You now have an idea that flame top FLGs are going for a PREMIUM considering that one on YJ went for $2,800 USD.

Also, if that guitar ever hits the market again, the asking price will be more than the seller paid for it on the YJ listing, guaranteed.

So, now you know what kind of scratch you will be tossing for veneer which IMO is insane. :lol:

Happy hunting

"the 90 being a veneer and the higher models solid" is written on villagers site about the FLGs but this statement is more than 10 years old. Would be interesting to hear his opinion today with much more guitars goin through his hands.

villager said:
its the same ... all 90s are veneer top and all 150 and 240s are solid.. if you see a so called 150 without a solid top then its not a 150.. simple..

I don't believe "all" 150s are solid.
There are some examples with associated paperwork/warranty card with matching serial # that show 150, that do have a veneer top.
This merely demonstrates (again) that MIJs can throw the proverbial curve ball into the mix.

I recall a very old (pre 2010) thread here in which it was stated that Tokai LS-120s were all solid top.
Well, as many are now aware solid top LS-120s are actually quite rare, as most documented LS-120s have veneer tops.

I have no doubt there are folks out there right now that believe they have a solid top MIJ LP copy that is in fact a veneer top.
What is baffling is when someone says something like guitars are difficult to confirm solid versus veneer. That is just nutz.
It's not too complicated to know what to look for when attempting to learn the difference between solid versus veneer.
My guess is that some buyers just want to believe they made a solid top purchase, and would rather believe that, instead of actually finding out, only to be disappointed in discovering they over paid for a veneer top.

That's what the 1980s catalog says (I just used google translator): "body maple veneer".
For the FLG-90 I get: "dimaple (?) veneer machined top, mahogany veneer back (???), lacquer finish".
And even in case of the FLG-240, google translates to: "body maple veneer machined top"...
I am puzzled.

I copied the text from my smartphone to my computer and I get:
Seymour Duncan 59 Model X2 コントロールボリューム×2、 トーン×2、 3ポイント・トグルSWX1 ボディメイプル単板削り出しトップ マホガニー単バック ネック マホガニーローズ指板セットネック ペグ USAクルーソンデラックス カラーOCOS (ラッカー仕上げ)
With deepl I get:
Seymour Duncan 59 Model X2 Controls Volume x 2, Tone x 2, 3 Point Toggle SW x1 Body Maple veneer top Mahogany back Neck Mahogany Rose fingerboard Set Neck Pegs USA Kluson Deluxe Color OCOS (Lacquer Finish)

The "メイプル単板削り出しトップ " means 'carved solid maple top" in this instance and doesn't mean a veneer.

Latest posts

Back