Beat up 70s Fernandes strat - 3 to 4 bolt neck replacement?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m0b1liz3

Reaction score
So I picked up an old Fernandes FST50 (I think)

Maple neck with big headstock (and 3 bolt) with the stone logo.
The body does not have a stamp on the inside. Its a 3 piece sunburst.
It has the grey bottom pickups.
I can't tell if these are the good ones or not (the catalogues say L5 etc..) Not sure how you can pick them. There is a 3 way switch.

The neck is totally bowed and frets are looking like they need replacement. I might be able to crank on the trus rod but it is pretty bowed. The headstock looks like it was attacked with a lighter and half the logo is burnt off.

So all the parts are ok but the mega trashed neck. I was thinking replacement. When I bid on the auction I was stupid and had forgotten these had the 3 bolt pattern on the back. I think reinstalling the whole micro tilt on to a new neck is going to be too difficult. My tools are mostly back in Canada and I am in Australia now. I can buy some dowels/glue and attach a new 4 bolt neck on. I have never seen replacement Fernandes decals :(. Its not a highly collectable model so I am not too upset about replacing the mangled neck (unless I am mistaken about the FST 50)

Please help with:
Opinions on how everyone else would proceed.
Advice on how to tell which model it was/age with no stamp in the body. (There is a inked serial on the bottom of the neck starting with 82 but the stone logo ended in 81 I thought....)

Latest posts

Back