Burny 1989-90. Excellent Guitar. Relic

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayq78

Reaction score
Excellent tone. far better than a Epiphone LP customs.
green chicklet caps. grey pickup wires. all original electronics I guess....

rhythm/treble pot stamped M500k0A / 91 k

both volume - M500k0B / 8D k

heres the photos... enjoy Burny maniacs..

DSC01197.jpg

DSC01196-1.jpg

DSC01195.jpg

DSC01194.jpg

DSC01193.jpg

DSC01192.jpg

DSC01191.jpg

DSC01181.jpg

DSC01180.jpg

DSC01179.jpg

DSC01178.jpg

DSC01177.jpg

DSC01176.jpg

DSC01174.jpg

DSC01172.jpg

DSC01196.jpg

DSC01173.jpg

100_9667.jpg

let me share my 1979 Tokai Silverstar and 1966 Fender Jazzmaster (not re-issue) but repainted =(

thanks for viewing...=)

Typical mid 90?super grade RLG 50/60
One piece neck
Not long tennon, but not short like a Gibson, like an early Tokai!
Pikups VH1- but the new type, more like the old VH4 from 82-87
Poly finish
made in Japan
2 or 3 piece body, tea-burst top!

nils

marcusnieman said:
**** fine plaintop!! Looks like fret edge binding on it too.

happy new year!! what is your recommended pickup height for both bridge and neck pickups? =)

cheers!!!

From the Gibson web-site

the best advice is to start with a gap of 1/16 (1.5mm) inch between bridge pickup and strings and 3/32 (2mm) inch between neck pickup and strings, and this makes a good general base from which to launch your own experiments

I think that's a bit close and would normally go for 4-5mm

Seems like Burnys from the late 80s/early 90s/mid 90s might have been made by Dyna Gakki.

Examining the routing etc and using elimination, the only real factory left is probably Dyna Gakki.

The routing etc has some features in common with Fujigen and some not in common with Fujigen so Fujigen don't look to be involved.
The routing is not Tokai or Terada and there are not many major factories left after eliminating Fujigen, Tokai and Terada so Dyna Gakki looks good as the maker.

The trouble is that we don't have a great deal of other Les Paul brands made by Dyna Gakki to compare these Burnys to, but they do have some sort of resemblance to Dyna Gakki made Les Pauls from the 80s.

I've been studying Burny's for the past 7 months.
Could you please tell me what you think the Dyna Gakki footprint is?

I have seen several periods;
up to 1978; Terada
1979; Tokai
1980-81: Terada
1981-82: Matsumoku (only very few examples with Aria specs)
1982-84: ?
1985-88: ?
1989-90: Fujigen, Tokai(?), Terada and the 1985-88 type
1991-1997: ?

1982-84 type;
-diagonal wire routing like Terada
-medium tenon (only being part of the cavity wall, not part of the cavity floor)
-square routing from from control cavity to bridge pup cavity, starting in between the pots
-45 degree angled pointer washers
Seems very much alike the few Navigators I've seen from this period. What do you think?

1985-1988 type;
Routing exactly like Fujigen except for having a different tenon; same tenon as 1982-1984 type. Fujigen has the mint collection long tenon during this 1985-88 period. This Burny tenon is the exact tenon of the highest end Greco's from 1980/81, like on my EGF-1800; no dowels.

1989-1990 type;
I've seen one example that could have been a K Orville, so Terada.
I've seen 1 example with square tab routing like Tokai but with wire routing like Fujigen; really strange.
I've seen Fujigen types (with the mint collection long tenon)
I've seen the 1985-1988 type

1991-1997 type;
All have the Fujigen routing but the Tokai tenon; medium tenon only part of the cavity wall but with a small oval like routing cutout in the cavity floor.
Is this what you mean with Dyna?

What are your thoughts?

Well it's sometimes hard to date a Burny exactly.

The things I'm talking about are characteristics of the routing machines and the way they did the routing at all the main factories.

There were basically these main factories in the 70s and 80s, Matsumoku, Fujigen, Terada, Tokai and then there were others like Dyna, Chushin, Iida, Kasuga, Kawai etc

Fujigen changed some of the way they did their routing in the 80s, so the earlier Grecos are routed differently from the later Grecos and Fujigen Orvilles etc.
Fujigen could have changed the way they did their routing due to a newer routing machine and cnc as the earlier Grecos are more hand made, anyway the routing changed but can still be traced back to Fujigen.

Terada have their way of doing routing and so do Matsumoku and Matsumoku ended around 1987.

These late 80s/early 90s Burnys have a control routing (looking at the routing by taking off the backplate) that is the wavy line type but Fujigen at that time bevelled out some of the wavy peaks and these late 80s/early 90s Burnys do not have the Fujigen bevelled wavy peaks.

The late 80s/early 90s Burnys seem to have mostly medium tenons and Fujigen was making Grecos and Orvilles with long tenons even on the cheapest models in the late 80s and 90s (Orvilles).

There are other difference as well.

The late 80s/early 90s Burnys don't have Terada or Tokai routing either and Matsumoku ended in 1987.

I would assume that Fernandes needs to go to a major guitar factory to get the Burnys made.

The only real major guitar factory left is Dyna Gakki.

There are only so many major OEM guitar factories in Japan and Dyna and Fujigen and Terada and Tokai survived into the 90s whereas a lot of others didn't.

Chushin just dealt with Jacksons etc by this time and Kawai and others like Kasuga are out as well and Iida owned Peerless in Korea by this time (late 80s/early 90s) and mostly seemed to run Peerless but Iida also made/make the Caparison guitars which were founded in 1995 and made Yamaha guitars.

So if Fujigen, Tokai and Terada are all eliminated for the late 80s/early 90s Burnys, then there is really only Dyna Gakki left.

Dyna Gakki make guitars in a similar way to Fujigen and look sort of similar in the Strats I've seen from them and Dyna Gakki is a modern guitar factory much like Fujigen with updated buildings and equipment.
Dyna Gakki can make any model guitar, Strats, Semi Acoustic Gretsches, LPs etc.

Some of the more recent Burnys have Tokai routing.

I know what you mean. The wavy type starts at least in 1987 but as said these have a different tenon than the post 1990 Burny's. Funny enough I can't seam to find Burny's with 1985 & 1986 pot codes.
Here's control cav pics of 2 1990 RLGs:

Dyna?
gys1-3.jpg

Fujigen
heelandcontrolcavity007.jpg

The late 80s Burny's regularly have codes in the neck pup cavity that remind me of Matsumoku codes in Aria's. I can't decipher those.
In 1992 the new codes start to appear in the neck pup cavity. These have 5 digit; first is year, then month and day. From 1993 to 1997 they sit in the bridge pup cavity, from 1995 on with model number.

1988 RLC60
burny_rlc_serial.jpg

1993 RLG
IMG_4152.jpg

1996 RLG70
IMG_9134.jpg

That's the wavy control routing I was talking about.

That wavy control routing (top pic) is not what Fujigen was doing at that time (which was more like the bottom pic) and I'm really just left with Dyna Gakki because other routing on these Burnys is not Tokai or Terada and Matsumoku closed in 1987.

Interesting:
There's a guy on MLP forum who lives in japan and bought a 1989 Burny with 'Dyna' type routing in a local shop. The shop employee used to work at Fujigen and told him he build this guitar.

As far as I remember, Fujigen went to that bevelled control cavity routing sometime around 1984 or so on the Grecos.
Before Fujigen changed the control cavity routing there was no bevelling, just waves, but it was different to what we see with the early 90s Burnys.

The bevelled control cavity routing is also on the Fujigen Orvilles from 1993 onwards.

I personally can't see Fujigen changing the way they do the control cavity routing just for the Burnys, so if these early 1990s Burnys are from Fujigen then I would expect the same control cavity routing that is on the late 1992 Fujigen OBG's and 1993 Fujigen Orvilles and the late 80s Grecos and that is not what I've seen so far.

A 1993 Fujigen Orville with bevelled wave routing

satume-img400x600-1218806054ieebvz242.jpg

and the Burny

gys1-3.jpg

Another Fujigen Orville

orv.jpg

Another Burny

bur.jpg

A 1985 Fujigen Greco with bevelled control routing

1985Greco.jpg

1985G.jpg

hey guys...thank you for viewing my post. really appreciated. but i have a question... i notice that there is like an adhesive used to attached the nickel pickup covers to itself (show in one of the pictures). does it affect the tone, clarity, output of the pickups? im using a Cube20x Amp, and as I use the acoustic simulator. it doesnt sound like the way an acoustic should sound. i compared it to my friend's crappy yamaha strat style guitar. and it sounded waaayyy a lot brighter and the acoustic tone is very bright compare to my LP. is this normal? or im just used of strats. please enlighten fellow forumite... =)

cheers!!!

raymond

I don't think it's a big deal.

The pickups polepieces (the 6 small round silver things on each coil) are magnets that pick up the string vibrations and the adhesive or whatever it is would not interfere much or at all with the polepiece magnets doing their job as we are really talking about a magnetic field.

The metal pickup covers will have more effect on the polepieces magnetic field and that's why some prefer to remove the pickup covers and some prefer them on.

japanstrat said:
I don't think it's a big deal.

The pickups polepieces (the 6 small round silver things on each coil) are magnets that pick up the string vibrations and the adhesive or whatever it is would not interfere much or at all with the polepiece magnets doing their job as we are really talking about a magnetic field.

The metal pickup covers will have more effect on the polepieces magnetic field and that's why some prefer to remove the pickup covers and some prefer them on.

yup it has no difference removing the adhesive. thanks..

burny123 said:
Typical mid 90?super grade RLG 50/60
One piece neck
Not long tennon, but not short like a Gibson, like an early Tokai!
Pikups VH1- but the new type, more like the old VH4 from 82-87
Poly finish
made in Japan
2 or 3 piece body, tea-burst top!

nils

are these wirings for my burny the 50's style? i think it is still all original. the volume goes totally zero even the toggle switch is in the middle(both pickups working). im really curios about that bumblebee capacitors.
http://www.singlecoil.com/docs/paula.pdf

Latest posts

Back