Greco SE 500J, thoughts?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouDur

Reaction score
Does anyone have one of these (or has had or played one) and could give an honest opinion? This one is for sale not too far from me, the sticker doesn't have a J, but this is clearly a Jeff Beck model, apparently a 1979 and stock. Just wondering about the pickups and their quality and also wondering about the switches... I might be a bit more of a traditionalist and prefer the regular switch, but keeping an open mind! The neck looks decent, with a rosewood slab and all.

Any thoughts? Can't seem to find too much online.
Thanks!

uc

uc

uc

First, don't worry about the missing J in the sticker, they never have the suffixes. In most cases (not this, though), they're just a finish code, they would have needed hundreds of stickers to cover all the variation, so I guess they settled for just the model numbers.

The three J-models (500, 600 and 800) have different switching, the 500J have the least complex system, just on/off/phase per pickup. The 1980 catalog describes it as "Brian May-like", the Red Special has the same setup, though with six sliders. It's relatively straightforward, you get all the standard sounds plus bridge+neck and all three, plus whatever (usually fairly useless) out-of-phase tones can be found between them. It adds up to 13 settings in all, according to the catalogs.

I've had a 600J, that was quite different, involving one two-position switch and two three-position. There was a lot of series-parallel trickery going on that I honestly can't remember, but one possible tone you could get was the bridge and middle together as a humbucker. But as I recall, some standard settings were lost in the process. I do believe that the 1979 SE800J was the same, but in 1980, it got the Schecter-style SE-1T tappable pickups, and I can't even begin so speculate what kind of switching weirdness they dreamt up for that one.

They're all a bit like combination locks in terms of user-friendlness, but I should think the SE500J is the most intuitive of them, for what it's worth. Should be an excellent to amazing basic guitar though, and the pickups (Maxon PU-100W) are very nice indeed.

Thanks Voidoid56!

I ended up not getting it. I'm sure it would have rocked, not exactly what I was looking for and in my hesitation someone else scooped in.

I really appreciate the info and your take, thanks! I'll definitely keep an eye open for any other Greco strats...

All the best

No problem!

Yeah, you should keep your eyes open for Greco SE's. I've had dozens of them (about 15 right now...), and they're excellent. Just stay on this side of 1976 and at SE500 or higher. Especially 1980-82 models are superb, they revamped the range in 1980 with basically all-new guitars that are great Strats by any standards. Well-made, excellent players and the Excel/31276 series pickups are among my favourites from any manufacturer. Also, they made numerous custom orders and store originals so there are a lot of nice oddballs around. Have fun! :)

Thanks again! Yeah, the plan is to get a nice Tokai or Greco strat from '80-'82. I've come close a few times but haven't landed one yet! I guess there's also fun in the actual hunt!

Cheers

Voidoid56 said:
No problem!

Yeah, you should keep your eyes open for Greco SE's. I've had dozens of them (about 15 right now...), and they're excellent. Just stay on this side of 1976 and at SE500 or higher. Especially 1980-82 models are superb, they revamped the range in 1980 with basically all-new guitars that are great Strats by any standards. Well-made, excellent players and the Excel/31276 series pickups are among my favourites from any manufacturer. Also, they made numerous custom orders and store originals so there are a lot of nice oddballs around. Have fun! :)

Latest posts

Back