Identification Greco SE600 1976?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nms123

Reaction score
Hello,
Is it possible that this guitar have no serial number on the back?(only" Made in Japan")
Seller say's he bought it like this, and this is 1976/1977 Greco SE 600.
As i read, Greco guitar's had no serial numbers before 1975, so if it's 76 it should have.
Also i cant find guitars with headstock like this in this year of production.
Any1 have some ideas? Is it possible that this is original?

Photos
https://files.fm/u/czrydervu#/

Sorry for bad english, need to find out what's wrong with it before i buy it.

No, that's an earlier guitar, probably 1974 into early '75, probably with a 77-78 SE600 reproduction decal (not that hard to find). It looks like a one-piece neck, which would make it an SE600, 500s have a maple cap fretboard. The star tuners fit the 74-75 dating as well. The burst is a bit odd for that period, though, you don't usually see black covering the elbow and tummy cuts after 1973. It does indicate a ply or pancake body, though, the idea being to cover up the lamination seams.
A look inside it would be interesting. It looks like an unaltered original pickguard, so it could have original electronics. If so, the pickups will almost certainly have date stamps and the pots might be date-coded as well.
Of course, there's always a chance that it's a parts guitar, or something other than a Greco, but I don't really see any evidence of it.

Thank you for your anserw.
I spoke to seller, he said that he switched MID pickup, becouse old one was broken.
He still have the old one, and there are no numbers on it :/
Ok, there is hard to tell anything more till i open this guitar...im gonna take risk and buy it.
Once again, thank you.

Good info as always Voidoid56.

The star tuners are definitely early Fujigen/Gotoh as in 1977 or earlier as I recall.

https://www.ibanezcollectors.com/discus/messages/13/6142.html?1159288083

And good info re pancake construction and hiding it with the black paint on the waist.

Amazing how much the construction of Fender clones had changed by 1979 at Fujigen, Tokai, etc. Great history lesson.

Sigmania said:
Amazing how much the construction of Fender clones had changed by 1979 at Fujigen, Tokai, etc. Great history lesson.

Yeah, they certainly learned a lot during the first 7 or 8 years of the 70's. I generally don't bother with guitars made earlier than 1976, at least when copy accuracy is what I'm looking for. That year the Greco SE800 comes in, imo the first Strat copy to capture at least some of the pre-CBS vibe, though quite a few details were still off. But there are exceptions, of course, like Suzi Quatro bass I posted. No original to emulate there, and the basic quality is second to none.

Back