NGD Dec 1981 Greco Super Sound SE 600 with alder body

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stratgo

Reaction score
Scored this wonderfull 1981 Greco Super Sound and I’m delighted it has an alder body. Sounds and plays great. I love the maple neck. Frets are about 80%. Real vintagey sounding Excele pickups . I have another Greco Super Sounds from April 1982 and it also an alder body. I have seen alder used on the higher grade SE 800 around these times but can’t find much other info on the net. Any ideas?
4UubYMd.jpg

Nice, very nice. A few on Ebay lately included a very pretty natural finish one.

Have a look here for info https://www.vintagejapanguitars.com.br/en/history-of-greco/

If you're wondering what model the April '82 is, it has to be a 600. 800s were Super Real, 500s and 450s Spacey Sound and 380's Super Power at that time.
Mind you, Greco Fender copies from the last few months before Fender JVs took over Fujigen's production lines can be seriously odd with previously unseen specs. Might be guitars from a 1982 Fender copy range that was never officially launched or just Fujigen having fun with the last batches of Greco parts, I don't think anyone knows.

Here’s my April 1982 Super Sound. Has the SE 600 sticker on the back of the headstock. Alder body just like my Dec 1981 . Definitely Fujugen having some fun with leftover parts. Brass nut and bridge pieces.SE1 coil tap pickups, push/pull volume and tone pots. One to switch the tap and the other to engage neck with bridge pickups. SE1 s are hot at about 9k without the tap. Hotter with the tap. 100% original and I’ve seen a photo of a beat up one just like it. A great guitar and very well made.
BHJhRA2.jpg

Congrats on the Super Sound SE; great guitars. Enjoy :)

I have one SE left, a Super Power SE from a few; mine is from early 1982, all original, maple neck, bubble gum pink body color, with matching head stock. 8)
The neck is really fat too. :D

Stratgo said:
Here’s my April 1982 Super Sound. Has the SE 600 sticker on the back of the headstock. Alder body just like my Dec 1981 . Definitely Fujugen having some fun with leftover parts. Brass nut and bridge pieces.SE1 coil tap pickups, push/pull volume and tone pots. One to switch the tap and the other to engage neck with bridge pickups. SE1 s are hot at about 9k without the tap. Hotter with the tap. 100% original and I’ve seen a photo of a beat up one just like it. A great guitar and very well made.

Hm, very interesting, I have the exact same guitar, also D82 and with SE600 sticker, only in all-black finish (i e incl neck). One's an aberration, three's a thing, I guess. :) The setting is confusing but it makes some great tones... and one that's just weird. Both coils in the bridge pickup + one in the middle in series makes a nominal humbucker dishing out around 24k. Sounds like a wet, woolly blanket to me, but it could make sense in a high.gain situation though, idk.

I have an original Schecter F400 loaded pickguard with F500t pickups on the way in, it'll be interesting to compare them to the SE-1T's. The guard is installed in a 1981 Tokai ST-60. I was expecting the Dream Machine electronics to be Greco or Fernandes Schecter copies, but they turned to be the real thing. Judging from eBay ads, the loaded guard could be worth almost as much as the Springy... which I'm restoring with original electronics. Sometimes you get lucky.

Back