Tokai vs ESP Stratocaster

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dramatolog

Reaction score
Hi people!

I recently bought an Telecaster AVRI 52 (2009), now I don't play my other guitars any more. I have several Indonesian G&Ls and Squier CVs. All these are great guitars for the money, but I got hooked on the 7,25 radius and the AVRI's neck profile, which non of these axes have. So I decided to sell all the other guitars (except the ASAT special tribute, that one can still parry the AVRI).

My main problem is finding a Strat with maple neck, 7,25 radius and if possible a profile similar that of the AVRI 52 (or at least a beefyer C). My understanding is that it would be either a Mexican made Vintera or a Classic Series, in a sub 1000e category or and AVRI 57, but this one would set me back 1600e or more (I am in Europe). Another option would be some of the older Japan made strats that I ended up looking into.

My choice came down to two guitars: Tokai from 1984 for some 850e, a TST-55 (alder?) and an ESP made Seymour Duncan Professional (Ash) for some 400e more. Both maple necks, two piece woods. The ESP doesn't come with its original pickups though.

My question is, do any of you own/owned any of these, what are your experiences and how they might compare to the AVRI 57? I know I need to try each of them and decide if they "speak" to me, but I also want to hear your opinions too.

Also, given that the ESP looks like it is ash, which model could it be? The only available catalogue states that the only ash is the one 1 piece is the DS-280M PRO, but this is a two piece? It doesn't has "traditional" written on the headstock.

https://web.archive.org/web/20010815110507/www.espguitars.net/duncan/index.html

Thanks a bunch!

Hi,
I cant speak for the avri, but I had/have a few Tokai Strats and some SD.
The SD are great guitars and I would rate them at least as good as the Tokais
I had some great Tokais and some average. I only had great SD Strats
Personally I prefer the SD Strats even a bit more
I have a DS100 and its definetly swamp ash. Great guitar which I wont sell
As far as I know the lower model like DS100 have a 9.5 radius and and the DS180 and above 7.5, but I am not sure about this.
As for the catolgue specs I would not take it as written in stone
As said my DS100 is surely swamp ash and I thin also nitro.Both is not like speced in the catalogue....

Latest posts

Back