False Edwards Info On Web

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Special K

Reaction score
I've read for some time now, web fuss about Edwards guitars.
Thankfully not from this site, as much of this information concerning Edwards is false.

One web poster seems obsessed with cementing false info, claiming to talk with ESP, and posting pics of the manufacturing stages. This post even goes as far as to suggest a personal dialogue with ESP production managers and a translation for the reader.
Sadly, not all information thats been posted is accurate.

Special K said:
Sadly, not all information thats been posted is accurate.

That statement applies to anything posted on the internet and certainly ANYTHING sold on the internet. You can't police the whole thing. Don't forget the famous quote from P.T. Barnum:

"There's a sucker born every day"........ that's who they're going after.

Just do your homework so you can weed out the garbage when you come across it.

I agree totally. Here's everything you ever wanted to know about Eddies.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-les-pauls/43888-edwards-guitars-whole-story-more.html

I thought "the point" about newer Edwards guitars was that they are claimed to be MIJ, even though a large part of the manufacturing process takes place in China. Or did I misunderstand this?

Mike

cashcow said:
I agree totally. Here's everything you ever wanted to know about Eddies.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-les-pauls/43888-edwards-guitars-whole-story-more.html

Great link

stratman323 said:
I thought "the point" about newer Edwards guitars was that they are claimed to be MIJ, even though a large part of the manufacturing process takes place in China. Or did I misunderstand this?

Mike

Woodwork and paint in China.... the rest of the assembly is MIJ I believe. Companies in the States have been doing stuff like that for years with Mexico. They send US made components to the maquiladora factories

(A maquiladora or maquila is a factory that imports materials and equipment on a duty-free and tariff-free basis for assembly or manufacturing and then re-exports the assembled product, usually back to the originating country. A maquila is also referred to as a "twin plant", or "in-bond" industry. Currently about 1.3 million Mexicans are employed in maquiladoras.

The term "maquiladora", in the Spanish language, refers to the practice of millers charging a "maquila", or "miller's portion" for processing other people's grain).

The products (air conditioning units, refrigerators, etc) are sent back to the US for distribution as MADE IN THE USA

marcusnieman said:
stratman323 said:

Mike

Woodwork and paint in China.... the rest of the assembly is MIJ I believe. Companies in the States have been doing stuff like that for years with Mexico. They send US made components to the maquiladora factories

(A maquiladora or maquila is a factory that imports materials and equipment on a duty-free and tariff-free basis for assembly or manufacturing and then re-exports the assembled product, usually back to the originating country. A maquila is also referred to as a "twin plant", or "in-bond" industry. Currently about 1.3 million Mexicans are employed in maquiladoras.

The term "maquiladora", in the Spanish language, refers to the practice of millers charging a "maquila", or "miller's portion" for processing other people's grain).

The products (air conditioning units, refrigerators, etc) are sent back to the US for distribution as MADE IN THE USA

What's this, an everybody else is doing it type argument? It's modern business?

To a company that causes people to think something is made in a particular place through its marketing and operations, which is an aspect of the product that is desirable to buyers (extremely desirable to some), I say f*ck right off...

stratman323 said:

Mike
map.gif
[/img]

JVsearch said:
[
To a company that causes people to think something is made in a particular place through its marketing and operations, which is an aspect of the product that is desirable to buyers (extremely desirable to some), I say f*ck right off...

Are you upset to find http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-les-pauls/43888-edwards-guitars-whole-story-more.html
a myth?

JVsearch said:
What's this, an everybody else is doing it type argument? It's modern business?

No, it's not an "everybody else is doing it" argument - it's the way things have become over the last couple decades. Blame it on profit motive. Cheaper labor = more profit.

Now as for saying something is made one place but it's actually built (partially or fully) or assembled elsewhere is a bit shady. But in many cases, if the company of ownership is in Japan, the States, etc, they claim the right to say it comes from them - because the farmed out work is QC'd and regulated by the parent company to their standards - they're not subcontracting the work out to the lowest bidder and letting them wank away at it on their own. At the end of the day, the finished product comes back to the parent company for distribution and before it goes out the door, they slap their label on it.

Hell, Hyundai SUV's, Toyota SUV's and several other import brands are assembled at plants here in the US..... are they called US vehichles? No.... they're still classed as imports from their countries of ownership.

Something I heard a few years back surprised me. If a bottle says "English wine" (not that there is much of it!) it means the grapes were grown and the wine made in England. Fair enough.

If it says "British wine", it means that the wine was made in Britain, though the grapes could have been grown anywhere and shipped over, maybe as grapes, maybe as juice.

Fair labelling? I don't think so....

stratman323 said:
Something I heard a few years back surprised me. If a bottle says "English wine" (not that there is much of it!) it means the grapes were grown and the wine made in England. Fair enough.

If it says "British wine", it means that the wine was made in Britain, though the grapes could have been grown anywhere and shipped over, maybe as grapes, maybe as juice.

Fair labelling? I don't think so....

Have a look at fruit juice drinks...... some of them say "contains 10% fruit juice".... the rest is filler and sugar. BUT because it contains some, it can be labeled as fruit juice.

I don't understand what you want to say Special K... Are you claiming that the mylespaul.com thread contains statements you believe to be incorrect?
If so, it would be better if you pointed those statements out along with your reasons for doubting them.

/Magnus

I've owned 2 Edwards guitars in the past. Both of them were equal in quality to the many other Japanese guitars that I have owned. If it's a good guitar, then I don't care where it's made.

I guess people get p1ssed off that they claim to be MIJ, when they are mostly made in China. The question I would ask is, how are you going to ensure the claimed manufacturing location of any product is accurate? Teams of government inspectors combing the factories of the world looking for evidence that work is being outsourced? How much would that cost the taxpayer? How do you define "MIJ"? Is a product assembled in Japan from foreign parts MIJ, or do all the parts have to made there? ESP probably consider the body and neck to be a "part", along with the electrics and hardware being separate parts too.

Buyer beware. Do your research. If a product is good, then it's good.

No, no need for Gov to inspect everything, I just want corps to tell it like it is, take whatever criticism that comes, and defend their product.

My opinion about Edwards is borne out of comparison to MIJ made products - Edwards prices are too high. If they're saving costs with cheaper labour it doesn't seem to be being passed on to the consumer; for example the solid top Edwards is as much as an LS-150.

But really, there's so many guitars to choose from you have to narrow it down somehow! :D

Special K said:
JVsearch said:
[

Are you upset to find http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-les-pauls/43888-edwards-guitars-whole-story-more.html
a myth?

No, not all, I knew about it a couple of years ago. A luthier friend told me about Edwards when I was discussing a Gibson Historic with him. He also said the fretwork will be better on the Edwards, but generally they don't have the tone of a Historic. That seems to be the general consensus on the web as well (if that's anything to go by).

i agree with the people complaining about the dodgy advertising. I was a bit annoyed to learn my edwards wasn't 100% MIJ, as I'd bought it thinking it was. It's still a good guitar, but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Whether or not the guitar is as good as an MIJ is immaterial- the consumer has the right to buy, or not, for any number of reasons (for example, I'm not too keen to pay the same price for something which is made with chinese labour prices and practices as something made in Japan, which has, presumably, much higher wages and labour rights etc.). It's the consumer's call, not the business's, and that being the case, the business should tell the truth. If, as the business often claims, "it's as good", then why not say where it's from? If it truly is as good, surely the consumer will realise that?

youami said:
How much would that cost the taxpayer?

probably a lot, but it'd be worth it. How much is dodgy advertising costing everyone? heck, the entire current recession was caused, in part, by insufficient regulation. that cost a shedload, an awful lot more than proper regulation would have cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back