1983 TSG-50?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarsznuff

Reaction score
Picked this up on eBay for way less than he was asking. Am I right to assume this is an 1983 TSG-50 with PAF MKII pickups? I couldn't find a 1983 catalog I was able to reference but based on the bridge and serial number I took a guess.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Congrats!

There wasn't a full catalog in 19823.

Here is a your guitar in the 1984 catalog.

1983 TSG50 WR

hBAcuTA.jpg

Notice the bridge on mine is a harmonica style though, not an ABR or Nashville. That is my only question. Is that difference between the TSG-50 and TSG-60 besides the pickups?

Yours is the 50 with the harmonica bridge.

On the right in the catalog photo.

oSt08LF.jpg

TSG60 is a 1963 model

TSG50 is a 1976 model.

Notice the fretboards too.

Crown vs. block markers.

3omfXwJ.jpg

One piece mahogany I believe.

Probably African mahogany.

Poly finish.

Should be well made in 1983.

You're welcome.

Tokai went kind of nuts there in the early 80s copying all sorts of different years of Gibson & Fender models.

I have no experience with MKIIIs, but they were budget pickups & I bet if you switched them it would really change the way it sounds.

Again congrats & HNGD

Sigmania said:
You're welcome.

Tokai went kind of nuts there in the early 80s copying all sorts of different years of Gibson & Fender models.

I have no experience with MKIIIs, but they were budget pickups & I bet if you switched them it would really change the way it sounds.

Again congrats & HNGD

Thanks, any idea if the MKIII's are ceramic or alnico based?

Not sure. What they called MKII etc changed over time.

I had read MKII were Alnico V and MKIV were ceramic. Not sure if that’s right. And not sure about MKIII.

I had PAF MKII in a 1983 LS80. They seemed to lack some mid range tone.

Pickups are easy to swap out and put back. Worth playing with for sure.

The build quality of that guitar should be pretty good even though it’s a 50.

If you open it up, take pictures.

I am still trying to figure out the different humbuckers Tokai has used. Trying to get pics of all of them.

Would love to have pics of the MKIII and if you ever test them, would love to have the resistance for each.

Back