New To Me Tokai 1978 LS-60

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superlead100

Reaction score
I'm a new member with a new (to me) 78' LS-60 BS. I currently own two other Tokai LS models; a 2013 100f and a 2021 212f. I've been quite enamored with these guitars and had looked for an older model. I came across this LS-60 which was overpriced as far as I could tell. I tried to make an offer, but they wouldn't budge. I noticed it was available from a trader in Japan and reached out to them since it was listed in their shop for considerably less. However, they didn't return my inquires. I continued to go back to this guitar because it was in beautiful condition and in the color I like most. Well, I caved and paid the asking price (shipping was included). When I got the guitar, I was thrilled with its near mint condition.
I know it's not spec'd for a one piece back, but it's one piece. It's a center seam plain top that's not really plain. It has some subtle figuring, birds' eye, and a fair bit of movement in the light. I'm also aware that it should be a poly finish, and it likely is, however, it seems to have aged a bit darker. The neck binding is darker and a bit more yellowed on the sides than on the fretboard surface edge of the binding which is whiter or cream. Does poly age in a similar way to nitro? At any rate, this guitar is very resonant, easy to play, and the neck shape is almost spot on to my modern Love Rock models.
The nut has been replaced and the truss rod cover seems to be from a later model year. Perhaps it was replaced when the nut was. Otherwise, everything else looks to be original.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/FdYAAOSwWNRidbzc/s-l400.jpg

Latest posts

Back