Help me identify this ST-80(?)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homeras

Reaction score
Hello,
got recently this beauty (not fan of a relics but this particular one has this "something", imo ;)
So it has almost all the features of a st-80 (V (soft) neck, E pus, really thin nitro and a 1 piece looking to be sen ash body), reminds me a lot of my former 1978 ST100.
Bridge has been changed as also the neck plate, pickguard, jackplate.
No serial or nr on the body except "YS" in the control cavity. Any ideas?
52221346331_0cb223d956_z.jpg

52221836350_5813cee2e7.jpg

52220341242_2885f6ffdb.jpg

52220341272_fc964b89e5.jpg

I wonder why someone would replace the neckplate containing the serial number??

And the handwritten “YS” is weird. I’ve seen that on a guitar from the Nagano factory (which were lower models typically). It normally means yellow sunburst, 3 tone, of course. But yours is the 2 tone burst, GS. Head scratcher.

I can’t see from your pictures, but is there a code stamped in the neck pickup cavity or in the control compartment or in the neck pocket? Faint probably.

Yes, few mysteries here...;)

I'd say it's a 3 tone burst.

The Only letters/numbers on the body are those "YS". Neck has "11=15A".

Thought that the body could be from a lower model or different but super thin nitro and 1 piece would match 80/100.

Interesting. You seem to be finding some cool guitars. Hope you are staying safe amid the hostilities.

The body and neck are obviously Tokai. And one piece sen is great. If it is actually nitro that would suggest ST80+.

I'm just trying to figure out the age now. What does the headstock look like? Springy decal?

Has the V neck with rosewood board seen on ST80s and ST100s (possibly ST120s?).

The 3 tone, YS, finish would have red between the yellow and the black.

Yours looks like some of the actual first 3 tone Fenders where the red faded out, but on the Tokai finishes, the red is stable.

Actual 1960 Strat

QZtVoz8.jpg

https://guitarpoint.de/product/1960-fender-stratocaster-3-tone-sunburst/

Again, a mystery.

It's a beautiful guitar whatever it is.

Look at the thread on the ST120. It had a handwritten "GS". Probably DiMarzios? 1982 model.

Here is the link.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26153&hilit=st120

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=24894

z0HLcHa.jpg

For comparison, the GS finish on my 1979 ST100GS

Yours has way more of the dark/transition paint/stain but it is not red. Interesting guitar.

C1jrWmS.jpg

Thank you, still fine here (let's say so..;)

Here one can see the 3 tone burst more, though on the pickguard side it's more 2..;)
52222100956_761db12761_k.jpg

Headstock, with removed Tokai logo, obviously :p Neck is a really nice plain sawn hard maple, very stable.
52222796329_1d382c2181_k.jpg

Oh, I do recall this owned now by Cliff 120 ;)

It is an intersting guitar indeed!

Thank You, Sigmania for your great feedback :)!
Lovely 1979 ST100 btw ;)

OK. So that’s a better picture. If it’s actually nitrocellulose I would feel comfortable calling it an ST 80. But it is curious that you can’t see any production codes on the body. It’s obviously a Tokai body. Very interesting.

And thanks.

And someone needs to not go anywhere near a guitar with a sander...

If it was my guitar, I would try to find someone good at restoration and reverse what they did. Just my opinion. 8)

I enlarged the body pic... Does it say "Final Prospec" on the saddles?

5KOvnfO.png

Hi guys,

To me the finish looks closer to YS than GS albiet the red is quite faint.
The neck is from 1980 and most likely ST-80 [ hex truss rod, no skunk stripe, black side position markers, 'A' on neck code, soft V profile ]
The body is most likely Tokai due to the specific routing of the pickup cavity. If there is body code, for 1980 it should be in the front pickup cavity.
I would suggest acetone and Q-tips to gently peel away the paint and see if the code is there.
It should read 11=15 YS A. - Anything else is not a matching body.
I find the change of neckplate a warning sign as 1978, 1979 and 1980 were all the same size but 1981-up were 'Fender sized' (larger)
This means the neck holes would not line up with body holes and would have to be filled and re-drilled for a different body.
Possibly photos of the side of the neck and the base may shed some light.
Would like to see the 'replacement neckplate as the body holes look very original.
I do own a 1980 ST-80 myself and it is my No1 strat, although it has been refinished in Gibson 1952 Goldtop Gold.
Neck is '12=1A', body has ' YS A' however the number is too blurred to make out.
regards
Peter Mac

Thanks Peter!

Can you help me understand what years Tokai made a V neck with a rosewood board?

My 1981 ST80R has a soft V neck, black dot markers, hex adjustment, (S/N 1013537), and I think felixcatus has one as well?

1979 beige foldout catalog does not specify fretboard, but says the ST80 has a V shaped neck.

gHhxwqV.jpg

1980 foldout catalog says for the ST80 neck: maple one piece V shape, rosewood fingerboard also available.

GHKYOeB.png

1981 "Flat Top" catalog says that the '64 Oldie Model ST80/85N and ST100 have a rosewood fingerboard V neck.

TrSnTAx.png

Spring 1982 catalog says rosewood fingerboard on a V neck for the ST80R & ST120R.

t4C6TVS.jpg

Peter Mac said:
Hi guys,

To me the finish looks closer to YS than GS albiet the red is quite faint.
The neck is from 1980 and most likely ST-80 [ hex truss rod, no skunk stripe, black side position markers, 'A' on neck code, soft V profile ]
The body is most likely Tokai due to the specific routing of the pickup cavity. If there is body code, for 1980 it should be in the front pickup cavity.
I would suggest acetone and Q-tips to gently peel away the paint and see if the code is there.
It should read 11=15 YS A. - Anything else is not a matching body.
I find the change of neckplate a warning sign as 1978, 1979 and 1980 were all the same size but 1981-up were 'Fender sized' (larger)
This means the neck holes would not line up with body holes and would have to be filled and re-drilled for a different body.
Possibly photos of the side of the neck and the base may shed some light.
Would like to see the 'replacement neckplate as the body holes look very original.
I do own a 1980 ST-80 myself and it is my No1 strat, although it has been refinished in Gibson 1952 Goldtop Gold.
Neck is '12=1A', body has ' YS A' however the number is too blurred to make out.
regards
Peter Mac

Thank you, Peter!

I checked and there is no code on the body, only the "YS". Acetone does melt the lacquer in the cavities though it's rather thick layer(s) of it
Yes, it's so strange that the neck plate was replaced. Holes in the neck, body and plate do match exactly. Body and neck make a tight fit.
Few pics of the neck and body joint. Believe that the change of color on the neck is due to the relic job done on the body.

52229243555_e6d35d9ae1_b.jpg

52227757832_fcf203af6c_b.jpg>

52229035559_01bebbd6e3_b.jpg

52229035589_3845909d29_b.jpg

Hmmm. That neckplate looks like the intermediate one that was used beginning in 1978 through 1980? The larger plate with the narrower hole spacing?

YS not shown as an option until the 1981 Flat Top catalog (printed late 1980?).

Then that plate changed to wider spaced holes by 1981 I believe.

So after the 1980 catalog was printed and before the change in the neckplate.

Looking like maybe late 1980?

Neck is of an ST80 or ST100 (there is a thread on here of a V neck ST100R). From earlier in 1980.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26267&hilit=St100+rosewood

Body is of an ST80 or ST100.

Without gold hardware, I would guess:

1980 ST80YSR?

Still a mystery why there is no serial number on that neckplate... Aftermarket hardware switch?? Gold>nickel? Quite the mystery.

Shown in the 1981 Flat Top catalog.

Note truss rod adjustment in this catalog on the ST80YSR. I have a 1981 ST80MRR with the hex adjustment.

qR3rRf5.jpg

Peter,

Were there any of these plates in 1978 that did not have a serial number stamped on them?

Any necks from this period that were not fretboard stamped for some reason? Factory replacements?

Definitely a head scratcher.

1978 ST80 with the serial number stamped on this type of plate for comparison:

https://reverb.com/uk/item/37630238-tokai-st-80-springy-sound-1978-black

rRWOqAi.png

IQ00z2Z.jpg

64iQFCx.png

uZPHRDh.png

MDnJc35.jpg

One possibility is that it is an ST 100 and somebody switched out the hardware? That gold starts to wear off and maybe they decided to switch?

What does the stamping say on the saddles on the bridge? It almost looks like it says final prospec?

Just wondering what was switched as far as hardware goes?

Sigmania said:
One possibility is that it is an ST 100 and somebody switched out the hardware? That gold starts to wear off and maybe they decided to switch?

What does the stamping say on the saddles on the bridge? It almost looks like it says final prospec?

Just wondering what was switched as far as hardware goes?

Sorry, you did ask what the saddles say. They show "REVIVAL" and "F.S.R.G". Believe Fernandes?

Yes, wonder why changed.

Tuners are "TOKAI" and are nickel.

Hmmmm. Tokai made Fernandes guitars…

Definitely something to look into.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26086&hilit=Earliest+Springys

Sigmania said:
Fernandes timeline:

1973-74 Traditional Type "Fernandes" Logo --- Kawai --- conducted by Mr. Omote and Mr. Shiino
1975-77 Spaghetti Type "Fernandes" Logo --- Kawai/Tokai --- conducted by Mr. Omote
1978-79 Stone Type "Fernandes" Logo --- Tokai
1980-81 Stone Type "Fernandes" Logo --- Changed to 22F --- Tokai
1981-90 Revival Series Logo --- Probably Tokai
2003 Revival Second Generation --- No idea about the MFG[/b]

http://www.music-trade.co.jp/fenandeshistory.html

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26086&hilit=earliest+springys

Back