Springy Sound ST-80 Rosewood desirability?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all!

I recently purchased a 79 Tokai Springy Sound ST-80 sunburst with a rosewood fingerboard that I’m having a bit of buyer’s remorse on. Just kinda wondering if the rosewood versions are very desirable? Kinda wishing now I had waited for a maple to pop up as it’s more historically accurate and I’m worried that I will be stuck with the rosewood. :(

I think they are kind of cool myself.

Tokai even made an ST100 around that time that had the two tone burst with a rosewood board on a V neck!

What shape is your neck?

And welcome to the Tokai club!

Sigmania said:
I think they are kind of cool myself.

Tokai even made an ST100 around that time that had the two tone burst with a rosewood board on a V neck!

What shape is your neck?

And welcome to the Tokai club!

Thank you! Nice to be here! It’s a V neck.

Oh man…. Google and you will soon learn how desirable a rosewood board on a V-neck is. You would have no trouble selling it if you wanted to.

Sigmania said:
Oh man…. Google and you will soon learn how desirable a rosewood board on a V-neck is. You would have no trouble selling it if you wanted to.

That’s good to hear! Although, I should also mention that another reason for my buyer’s remorse is the guitar was advertised as all original and when it arrived I noticed quickly that one of the saddles was not original to the guitar. Not sure how much that hurts the value of it but it was a bit disappointing.

By the way, the only V-neck ST 80s I’m aware of were made in ‘80/81. So if yours is a ‘79 that is pretty cool and new information to me. Thanks for sharing that. That’s awesome.

Is there a way that you can post pictures of the guitar? I’ll post a link that has directions on how to do it. It would be interesting to see it.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=25951

Also, have you opened it up? There are codes inside the cavities that have numbers related to production. It would be interesting to see those. There should be one on the neck at the very end, and others in the neck pick up compartment and possibly in the neck pocket.

Sigmania said:
By the way, the only V-neck ST 80s I’m aware of were made in ‘80/81. So if yours is a ‘79 that is pretty cool and new information to me. Thanks for sharing that. That’s awesome.

Really? Well I hope that isn’t more reason for concern. Lol

The first number of the serial number is a 9 which I believe is suppose to be a 79 model, correct? It was advertised as a 79 model by the seller.

Sigmania said:
Is there a way that you can post pictures of the guitar? I’ll post a link that has directions on how to do it. It would be interesting to see it.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=25951

Also, have you opened it up? There are codes inside the cavities that have numbers related to production. It would be interesting to see those. There should be one on the neck at the very end, and others in the neck pick up compartment and possibly in the neck pocket.

Here’s a link with a bunch of photos that was taken by rhe seller:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/cliffsguitarworld/albums/72177720299366918

If linking in that manner isn’t allowed, I will remove it but just thought that would be easiest to show you.

Wow…. Did you get that from Cliff? He’s a member here and he’s been here on the forum for almost 20 years I think. I’ve bought a couple of guitars from him in the past.

The neck and body codes match so that guitar is totally legit. As for saddles, I would ask Cliff. He may have a part around because he buys and sells a lot of Tokais. I would definitely ask him.

Based on that production code, I believe that guitar was made in November 1979. I’m wondering if that is effectively a 1980 model?

The new model year catalogs came out in October/November I believe for the following year, so it’s possible.

Maybe somebody else knows?

Sigmania said:
Wow…. Did you get that from Cliff? He’s a member here and he’s been here on the forum for almost 20 years I think. I’ve bought a couple of guitars from him in the past.

The neck and body codes match so that guitar is totally legit. As for saddles, I would ask Cliff. He may have a part around because he buys and sells a lot of Tokais. I would definitely ask him.

Yes sir, that is who I bought it from. I have emailed him about the saddle and he is going to check his parts to see what he has. I’m hopeful he will have one.

Hopefully he has one. You can also post in the classifieds here. Never know. Worth a shot.

I believe those would be stamped "TOKAI" ?

Latest posts

Back