Mystery Guitar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigmania

Staff member
Reaction score
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4037360360...81&osub=-1~1&crd=20220624072946&segname=11051

Anyone know what this is?

Seller is saying it was sold to him as an LS80.

No serial number, no Tokai logo, white compartment covers, FEB, one piece body (?).

Another guitar that the same seller has listed is supposedly a TE80 that was re-labeled as a Fender. So maybe somebody removed its Tokai logo somehow? But they would have to have removed the serial number too, so it’s a bit of a mystery.

Maybe a prototype?

CE4xuVI.jpg

q8G7SMM.jpg

2x5kTP5.jpg

okISWYn.jpg

3nAQ1Yz.jpg

KDIvsH2.jpg

Mo8WnJg.jpg

m4gyXyO.jpg

SD's went on the top of the range models as was FEB.

Very pretty top too.

Guessing it could be a proto or evaluation model for another brand.

The seller's description of the guitar is, "Please feel free to contact us for product details." That is it; nothing else.

I see plenty of sellers that offer not much more than that; most often just barely the basics and typically not even that much.

Lazy sellers, of which there are plenty around, are pretty much worthless and to be honest I have no interest in what they are peddling.

You could make a purchase and once it's delivered you could tell us all what you think it is. :lol:

I’m not buying it.

What I was wondering is if it’s actually a Tokai?

The other thing I was wondering is if it had a neck repair? That might explain the missing logo & serial number?

I notice a lot of sellers from Japan with pretty much no description in the listing. Sometimes I can see a partial description in the phone app on the screen before you click to expand the description. Then once you click there is nothing there but some generic seller's policy stuff. I always attributed that to an incompatibility with the template that they must be using for their listings that does not transfer to eBay in the US where I am.

This one is different though as there is literally no description.

k5CMTq6.png

the ebay seller is most likely just a scammer; one of the many that just post BS on ebay and on Reverb about guitars they actually do not own.

the same (Tokai) guitars are on Yahoo Japan listed by a seller (zipang_anaba) with over 88K feedback.
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h510606044

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n1040009197

I seriously doubt the ebay seller with 206 feedback is the same Yahoo Japan seller with over 88K feedback.

The ebay seller has no interests in offering any description whatsoever; he is just a scammer.

Good call on that one!

If you look at his feedback there are 52 transactions in the past year (mostly non guitar related), and yet he is listing hundreds of guitars at present.

I think you nailed it!

Still wondering what it is however. I don't know how anyone could tell from the outside. I assume at this point you would need pics inside the pickup compartment showing routs, stamps, tenon, etc.?

The LS150 has the separation of the plastic veneer on the headstock that it seems like Tokai LPs had up until 1982?

mnbsyBM.jpg

Just to put something out there. For some strange reason, Fuji Gen made quite a few Les Paul examples with no headstock decal at all around this time Not sure why but I guess they are leftovers when fender are contracted so they probably just got rid a a few batches of Les Paul pre fender with no decal. Maybe.

It is probably a tokai but very very unusual not to have a decal

Back