ST70?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATO

Reaction score
Someones just posted this in one of the FB groups asking if it's legit, he's just picked it up in Malaysia for 115 USD!!
Looks to me like an 82 ST70 with the two piece neck? Did St60s ever have that neck?

9Dd8Sgu.jpg

Iq4BelW.jpg

MGLtL9K.jpg

DtErJtO.jpg

vJCVGhr.jpg

hC0JZZf.jpg

MyjId4O.jpg

vNqsVyE.jpg

The ST70 "1964 Rare Model" had the maple lam board.

For some reason this one looks odd to my eyes. Maybe it's the color of the two pieces of maple? The ones I have seen are such good matches that it is hard to tell it's a lam board.

I have only seen 4 maple lam ST70s, this one being the 5th.

Wonder if the neck has a code on it?? That would nail it down. If it's a Tokai neck, it's an ST70.

The electrical circuit and 1982 date all fits.

Here's a link to the thread on these.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=25998

Currently one on eBay for over $3,000.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2657385658...b_vTl8uRJe&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I've asked him for a pic of the bottom of the neck.

Got some more pics. There is a very faded stamp, can make out '2 = '
Saddles are wrong. He's very happy with his find.

gEmOQ5n.jpg

QNUair1.jpg

pBMwVWO.jpg

Ok. That serial number complicates things. Above it was stated that it was a 1982. Serial number is 1980.

The ST70 came out at the end of 1981 as far as I can tell.

They first show up in the spring 1982 catalog.

Not listed in the 1981 catalog (which came out in October 1980?).

It would have to have been made around that time, October 1980, or later.

Quite the mystery.

Was wondering if it might be a partscaster, but the body code looks like it’s 2=1 which is consistent with the neck code, 2=?.

Head scratcher.

Peter Mac?

1982 just was suggested from me cos it was in the 82 catalogue. Owner hasn't got a clue how old it is.

Also 2 = suggests a Feb build..unless it's 12 and the 1 has faded away. Body code is 2=1 BB Z, he's just sent another pic.

Also is this supposed to be a 64 copy or later as in 1967? If it's an early CBS copy before the headstock change would have it have the same saddles as a silver star? Though the maple neck is called a 64 In the catalogue, is it really?

Check out the link I posted above on the ST70 Rare Model thread.

Back