Reborn Old and mapleflame mod

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grenville

Reaction score
A while ago I bought some metric sized 38mm bridge studs to perform the so-called 'mapleflame mod' on my 1980 Tokai Reborn Old.

Figured maybe I ought to get on with it... but then wondered if anyone else has done it with their older Tokai Reborn/Love Rock guitars?

On a Gibson, replacing the imperial threaded studs is a matter of taking the short originals out and replacing with the longer depth new ones, the holes are already deep enough. But maybe the holes aren't as deep already in Japanese guitars?

Any thoughts or insights welcome.

Mind that the original mapleflame mod consists of longer steel bridge posts, while the original Gibsons had brass posts.

I have done the so-called mapleflame mod on my 1980 LS80 not long ago. I bought some nickel plated brass bolts, cut their heads off and had my tech put them in. But I am not too pleased with the result. It is too thin/metal-y sounding and it seems to have lost some overtones. Maybe the posts aren't put in deep enough, or it the Faber bridge that I changed to simultanously. I am not sure how deep the holes are, sorry. Something I will have to ask my tech when I see him again.

Being always the tinkering, I just ordered a Kissmystrings Zamak ABR bridge which comes with 'proper' brass posts and thumbwheels. They will be put in next week. Hopefully this will do it. Will keep you updated on the result.

I believe the old school Tokai LS bridge posts are a hybrid thread, unlike the conventional ABR1 bridge posts.

I believe conventional posts are machine thread the entire length of the part; like the older Burny RLG and RLC guitars also have.

Old school Tokai ABR1 posts are basically machine thread above the top surface and then wood screw thread sub-top surface. 8)

I personally would not recommend changing bridge posts on a vintage Tokai LS, unless there is some real issue with the posts.
Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for that link Sigmania, very interesting.

Thanks for your thoughts too, Guitar Hiro.

Assuming the guitar will indeed likely have hybrid screw/posts, I think I'll leave things be.

Just for the record, original Tokai ABR-1 posts are steel (yes, not 50ś accurate but it is there) while more recent ones are brass (Gotoh style).

Back