Tokai guitar Love Rock 1980

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalko

Reaction score
Hello, I bought a Tokai Love Rock 1980 guitar, which I thought was an LS-80 BB, since it had fret edge binding. Correct?

If you look in the 1980 catalog, you can see that the only other guitar that had the BB finish was an LS-50, but the LS-50 never had the fret edge binding, at least I didn't see one ... Is it correct?

https://brochures.yokochou.com/guitar-and-amp/tokai/1980/en_10.html
Also, (I know Ibanez and Greco vintage much better, but for some time I have started to take a closer interest in Tokai ...) Can I ask the Tokai experts: how many exceptions Tokai have made in the vintage years? Is it fairly common, or rare? Ibanez has done a lot stuff out of catalogs and such.

It seems that Tokai was already making guitars on order. But is it possible that in a regular series there are exceptions, like: all mahogany instead of maple top ... fret edge binding in the LS-50 and LS-60 series (I think LC- 60 had it ...) And if there is, is it rather rare, or do we see them regularly?

Last edited:
I can’t see the serial number. Do you know what it is? Pictures help.

Do you have photos inside the pickup cavities?

The catalog you linked lists black (BB) as one of the color options for the LS80. Nice guitar. Congratulations.

Thank you Sigmania! That is what I thought.

And now begins the strange thing:

When the guitar arrived, I noticed that the stickers with the type number of the guitar had been peeled off. But, despite that, I have the impression of being able to read the number 50? or 150?

Here is the problem with which I am confronted: LS-50 does not have fret edge binding… If it is then LS-80: why this number apparently 50, or other?

Also, the output jack is missing, and the pickup ring screws have rusted. I tried to access the pickup cavity to check pickups and the maple top, (or mahogany), but I'm afraid the screws would break, and then the problem would be much bigger. We have to wait with that...

Otherwise, I have very good feelings with the neck, the guitar is well balanced, these are important things ...

I took some photos:

1654978583-sam-1109.jpg

1654978613-sam-1109a.jpg

1654978627-sam-1110.jpg

1654978653-sam-1113.jpg

1654978835-sam-1114.jpg

LS120 and lower had the PCB circuit board.

Goto PAFs in LS80s in that period I believe.

I think it’s an LS80.

I see what you are saying about the sticker, but I think what you are seeing is glue and the paint behind it.

tEiH2UZ.jpg

And looks like someone used a sharp tool to remove it. Hopefully you can clean it up. Goo Gone works.

Again, beautiful guitar. Worth restoring.

I had similar pickups in my 1979 LS80 GT Les Paul Reborn.

zUOYjid.jpg

KGM3JJE.jpg

And should be a maple cap over a one piece mahogany back.

Tone machine.

You may end up replacing those pickups. I replaced the ones in mine.

Sigmania said:
And should be a maple cap over a one piece mahogany back.

Tone machine.

You may end up replacing those pickups. I replaced the ones in mine.

I am not sure it has a maple cap. The guitar can easily be an all mahogany guitar, at least from what i can see in the control cavity, (in black, which doesn't help...) The nut is not original of course.

I can clearly see a "50", not sure for 150 ...
I have also one (or even two) LS80 Gold Top somewhere, in the middle of all my guitars :)

Dalko said:
I am not sure it has a maple cap. The guitar can easily be an all mahogany guitar, at least from what i can see in the control cavity, (in black, which doesn't help...)

It should not be mahogany. That would be an LC...

And no matter what the sticker said or didn't say, it is an LS80 and not an LS50. The FEB and pickups tell you that.

If you really want to know you can do an acetone lacquer test in a pickup cavity, but Tokai finishes are weird and you may have to be persistent to get a reaction. LS50 was poly, LS80 was lacquer.

ySYg0d5.png

Sigmania said:
Dalko said:
I am not sure it has a maple cap. The guitar can easily be an all mahogany guitar, at least from what i can see in the control cavity, (in black, which doesn't help...)

It should not be mahogany. That would be an LC...

And no matter what the sticker said or didn't say, it is an LS80 and not an LS50. The FEB and pickups tell you that.

If you really want to know you can do an acetone lacquer test in a pickup cavity, but Tokai finishes are weird and you may have to be persistent to get a reaction. LS50 was poly, LS80 was lacquer.

That's why I asked the question of exceptions, at the very beginning of the topic...

We'll know more when I have access to the pickuo cavity, but it may take a long time.

LC, I thought about it, but LC have block inlays... This is clearly a LS.

Right...It's not an LC.

Why can't you just pull the pickups? The screws are in wood so rust is not an issue for the mounting rings.

That would answer a lot of your questions so you don't have to speculate.

In fact, the model number may be stamped in the neck pickup cavity.

It was on my '79 LS80 GT

NC1izuV.jpg

Just use the right size Philips head screw driver so you don't strip the heads and you should be fine I would think.

I tried to get there by first putting WD-40 on it, but there are one or two screws on each side so rusty, and therefore weak, that I risk breaking them by putting more force.. .

I have already broken a screw like that once, trying to go too fast. You have to wait, and put WD-40 regularly.

If I feel it's going to break I prefer to give it to a luthier.

Hmmm.

The 4 outer mounting screws go through the plastic rings and into wood. Wood doesn't rust.

Where are you spraying WD40?

K6OX8r4.jpg

The wood does not rust, but the screw inside the wood does. You can believe me, I checked it several times.
That's why it can break, and also the screw head seems to be very soft.

I put some directly on the screws, protecting the rest, so that it doesn't overflow on the pickups...

Dalko said:
I can clearly see a "50"

I still say it’s an LS80BB. You scored a nice guitar for cheap it looks like. Congratulations.

tEiH2UZ.jpg

zmFJRe6.jpg

Latest posts

Back